1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee/Stanford women's basketball vs. Men

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No I didn't say that at all, not even close and you know it. What I said they are playing the same "style" as the men now -- the main difference it they are playing it below the rim and at a much slower pace because they aren't as quick or strong and they don't jump as high.

And that point about defense -- the Lady Vols would have a hard time getting the ball past half court if an athletic high school boys team decided to throw a full court press on them because the boys team is much quicker and much stronger.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

How do you know this as fact? I know several of these major Division I women's teams use male players in practice and, from watching practices in the past, the girls dominate the guys. While you may counter that the guys just signed up for the positions, there are tryouts held every year. I wrote a feature about one team's use of said players a few years back and one of the kids transferred up from the local Division II school - a perennial tournament team - and was routinely dominated.

It's just a broad application to use at this point without any kind of definite proof. I'm not saying a high school boys team, especially some factory team like Notre Dame Prep or Oak Hill, couldn't beat Tennessee. I'm saying that there are just too many variables to make such a determination.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just FWIW, John Wooden (who is indeed a great, great man) wanted to make tip-in baskets illegal because he felt they were "selfish" (he wanted a rule requiring that all offensive rebounds must be passed off at least once before a FG attempt could be made).

(Funny, I always thought that following your shot and getting offensive rebounds was one of the most fundamentally-sound things you could do. Of course, the fundamentalists also howl long into the night about the importance of getting 'high-percentage shots,' but if that 'high-percentage shot' is taken by a negro ramming the ball through the hoop, all of a sudden it becomes slamma-jamma showboating and disgraceful streetballing.) ::) ::)

Having said Wooden is a great man and a great coach, listening to old coots blather on about "fundamentals" and "playing the right way" gets real real old, real real quick. Zagoshe is absolutely right on this -- it's racial codespeak.

I've long been a supporter of women's basketball (I coached girls teams for almost a decade), but to suggest any women's college team could compete with any men's team from any level is just delusional. You have a complete disconnect in size and physical ability.

Tennessee could probably compete with good (NOT national-elite semi-pro boarding-school) boys' high school teams. But even when you get beyond that level, state-contending HS teams have one or two guys 6-7 or 6-8, two or three guys 6-4 and 6-5, and the women would get absolutely smoked off the court.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what a bunch of insecure sexist pussys.

maybe next we can debate who'd win a powerlifting event: men or women?

jesus christ.

5. Nobody can powerlift more than jeebus

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jeebus has balls.

zag would be so fucking proud.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm sorry, but the women's games I've seen have way more missed layups than the men's game. Layups are pretty fundamental, are they not?

As far as this "playing the right way" thing goes: If women had the same physical skills and makeup as men, would they play the game the way they do now? I suspect they wouldn't.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Funny that the NAIA came up...I live in the town that houses Oregon Tech, the NAIA D-II (yes, they have divisions) men's champs. Tech's PG is 6-foot-7...is anyone guarding him?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Glad to see the He-Man Woman Hater's Club was out in force tonight.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, but you beat me to it, TP.
    This seems to come up over and over and over again. Why????
    Yes, there are physical differences between men and women. many of us are astute enough to have been aware of this ever since we were 11 or so. The fact that a women's college basketball team might not be able to beat a boys high school team has nothing to do with anything. A really good boys high school sprinter runs faster than a college women's sprinter. And so on and so on and on and on.
    So what?
    The NASCAR Sprint Cup (or whatever they're calling it now) cars run way faster than the trucks. Would the fastest of the trucks finish 37th or 39th or 43rd in a Cup race? Who cares? it's apples and oranges.
    Maybe somebody can clue me in on why this is endlessly fascinating.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't see any evidence of men hating women here. Some of us are merely pointing out that women basketball players at the D-1 level should be able to make layups, make foul shots and not have as many turnovers if they are indeed fundamentally sound players -- which, according to cold, hard evidence as shooting percentage, foul-shooting percentage and turnovers -- indicates that they are not.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Candace Parker is really pretty. Hopefully, she's planning an FHM or Maxim spread to promote the game of women's basketball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.