1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee/Stanford women's basketball vs. Men

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zag, Zag, Zag...

I'm not stereotyping. I'm summarizing what I have observed with my own two eyes. To essentially say I'm a racist is beyond silly.
    I never got anywhere near saying a better athlete is worse fundamentally. If that were my belief, then my argument would be that the worst athletes in women's basketball had the best fundamentals on Earth. Do you really think anyone is dumb enough to make that point?
    Maybe I've seen better women's basketball than you have. Maybe you've seen the men's game played by guys who were more students of the game who spent their extra time on boxing out, free throws, defensive drills, off-hand layups, mid-range jumpers, etc. instead of practicing three-pointers and one-handed dunks than I have.
    But don't throw this red-herring racist bullshit at me just because we disagree.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Chaminade and Virginia.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Tennessee could pull a win against the nether regions of the NCAA. A mid-major would be far too athletic for the Lady Vols. Tennessee would be powerless against the alley-oop and high-rising game.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Demo ---

It isn't red herring bullshit -- look at your post a few above where you claim that female players work harder on the things that win games because they aren't chasing NBA dollars.

That is a stereotype and it is fiction -- and follow along because I didn't call you a racist --- and it is NO DIFFERENT than the asinine people who say white kids work harder and have better fundamentals than black kids.

And again more silly stereotyping from you -- boys work on jacking up three's and dunking while girls work on boxing out and off-handed lay-ups because they aren't worried about getting on ESPN.

It is a lot of stereotypical, over-generalizing, ridiculous nonsense and you know it.

I've covered both sports at the highest level, I've covered NCAA Tournaments and Final Fours in both sports so spare me the "you haven't seen great women's basketball like I have" crapola.

Do you think the LSU women -- a five-time in a row Final Four team - would benefit from some basic fundamentals, like shooting and dribbling and shooting free throws?

How many of Pat Summit's teams win because they are fundamentally sound and skilled and how many of them win because they have the best athletes and they physically manhandle teams and defend them to death?

How many offensive sets do the Lady Vols actually run and how many of their points come off turnovers, come off one-on-one dribble drives by superior athletes or come in transition off of rebounds?

Don't tell me about the women's game, I get it -- I also know advocates of it are kidding themselves when they try and make this silly generalization and stereotype about how much more fundamentally sound it is than the men's game.

5. Are you sure you like women's basketball, because you sure seem to hate it and anyone who enjoys it.
    But hey, you know all, as usual.
    I stereotype, apparently, but you can make blanket statements and it's, what, reality?
    I also make the same arguments as racists, according to you, but you never called me a racist.
    Whatever.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Two things:

- fair number of basketball games.

- April McDivitt transferred to UC Santa Barbara.

7. zagoshe

Yes, I enjoy watching the women's game -- I watched both on Sunday and I watched tonight's game -- because I love basketball. I often go to see women's games as well as men's games, even when I am not working.

However, I can't stand the ridiculous myths that flow from the mouths of clueless people - mostly the hard core women's games advocates -- who seem to have this need to try and compare the team and do so by regurgitating silly stereotypes about better fundamentals and better team basketball because that is just not the case.

Tennessee, LSU, North Carolina, Maryland, UConn, Rutgers -- they all dominate the women's game and do you know why?

Because they have superior athletes, not because they are more or less fundamentally sound than any other team. And most of those teams play the same style as men's teams, only at a slower pace and below the rim.

It is no different than the men's game.

And like this kind of ridiculous stereotyping is based in the same kind of erroneous thinking that holds that any team who plays like Princeton is "more fundamentally sound" than a team like, say Memphis, simply because of the style (and let's be honest) color of the players.

It is an asinine assertion on so many levels.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Would the Memphis men?

9. zagoshe

I don't hate anyone or anything, except for people who make ridiculous sweeping generalizations about a sport that just aren't true.

And yes, you saying "women play with better fundamentals than men" is the absolute equivalent of broadcasters who describe white players as "smart, hard-working and gritty and fundamentally sound" while describing black players as "athletic and talented and blessed with quickness"

It is the same kind of stereotyping whether you like it or not.

10. But you're comparing apples and oranges, Zag.
    The question isn't whether the Tennessee women are more fundamentally sound than any other women's team. The question is whether they are more fundamentally sound than men's teams.
    And stop it with the Princeton/Memphis shit. This argument has nothing to do with race and it never will. The racist basketball argument is about the ignorant claiming black athletes are gifted but dumb. That is not even close to my saying women play a more pure brand of the game because theirs hasn't become as ESPN-ized as the men.

11. You realize you're making sweeping generalizations (we can debate whether they are ridiculous), right?

12. zagoshe

The Memphis men pass, shoot and dribble extremely well. They were one of the highest scoring teams in the country -- and contrary to popular belief, that is a good sign they are fundamentally sound.

The LSU women are and have been a terrible offensive team and mostly because they haven't bothered to learn the fundamentals of passing, dribbling and shooting.

And in their first trip to the Final Four the Memphis men did something the LSU women haven't done in five consecutive trips --get to the final game.

Although that can't be right because women's teams are fundamentally sound.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.