1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee papers to share content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003949123

E&P has a story about what I heard at the SEC tournament.
    While some details are still being worked out, it sounds like the Tennessean might be dropping Tennessee as a beat.
    What I heard will happen is that the Tennessean will pick up Knoxville's UT coverage, including beat reporters and columnists. It will be reprinted, and on the web, it will be a tease and the link will take you to Knoxville's site.
    What I heard is that the Tennessean will ship all its Titans copy to Knoxville.
    I don't know if this means the Tennessean will no longer have a presence in Knoxville for Saturday home games. The Tennessean is already going with UT hoops coverage.
    The E&P story says it will also include news and coverage of the governor's race.
    E&P also says Chatty and Memphis will also be participating, but no other papers. As it stands now, the smaller Gannett papers are getting the Tennessean's coverage, so that means they will either run AP or, possibly, Knoxville.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... It's a good thing no one in Nashville cares about UT. :)

3. Mizzougrad96

It's an interesting way to do things. The Knoxville paper is a very good college town paper, one of the better ones in the country IMO, but for a paper the size of the Tennessean to ditch the state's biggest sports beat is amazing.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fucking sad.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Does this mean anything in terms of cuts or anything, or is it just a share agreement?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Memphis can now get Predators stories. :)

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing it doesn't bode well for Nashville's UT beat writer, if it even still has one.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Bryan Mullen has been the Tennessean's UT guy for the past 2 years, IIRC. He was covering Vandy before that. It'd be something if he got what would seem like a promotion from the Vandy beat to the UT beat, and then that promotion led to his being laid off. Not that this scenario hasn't played out at papers across the country recently, so he definitely wouldn't be the first. Let's hope hope it doesn't come to that for the guy.

The timing of this, about halfway through March, makes me wonder if the Tennessean isn't doing this now to set up for the next round of Gannett layoffs, which would seem likely to come as Q2 starts and all the furloughs are done next month.

I hope I'm wrong on both of those thoughts.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it would be awful to cover a major beat for two newspapers. I'm thinking special sections. I'm thinking major features where both papers will be wanting this guy/girl to plan and let them know way in advance what the guy/girl is writing. Fuck. It sounds like a terrible job, to be a beat for 2 papers.

10. Mizzougrad96

I doubt much changes for the beat writer. He does his job the way he normally would for Knoxville and then they send the stories to Nashville. They can choose to use them or not.

There can be some special requests if there is a local kid who they might want something extra on, but requests like that tend to be rare.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't know, Mizzougrad. What about deadline differences? Little ways 2 different papers do things. You could be right but I can't see a newspaper just waiting for stories to be sent to them without wanting to know exactly what the guy is writing and working on down the line. For two papers, in my mind that is a big headache. Maybe you are right but I can't see college editors or sports editors just waiting for the other paper's stories to arrive via emial then dump them in the paper.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my guess is that it likely will work the way huntsville and mobile handle their sharred alabama coverage. Gentry Estes handles the bulk of the day-to-day stuff, but Huntsville is still in tuscaloosa quite a bit handling local angles, game day columns and siders, etc.
    it's the same way on the auburn beat for those two papers, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted