1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee bans Knoxville reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/govols/article/0,1406,KNS_294_5057490,00.html

Knoxville's response seems to be, "OK, no problem, we'll just send somebody else."

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Then the Knoxville paper will wonder why folks don't trust it as a news source.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Knoxville really should fight that.
    That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
    Knoxville is the very definition of a "university" town... the kind of place where the newscasters wear baby-puke Orange ties on Friday nights and nothing bad can be said about Herr Fulmer and the mighty Vols.
    There are good people at the News-Sentinel who do very good work, and I hope they stand up for their man.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Real simple: You have your political writers go to the two candidates for governor and ask if they favor state employees trampiing on the first Amendment. Then you call the AD and say his organization will have reporters assigned full-time looking for scum in his programs. They'll start with phone calls to the Alabama AD.
    Bullies can only stopped by hitting back.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Dave got whistled for a false start."

Oy. How about, "We stand by our story"?

And wasn't "UT director of public relations Tiffany Carpenter" in "Diamonds Are Forever"?

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Quote from the editor:

"Although this was a positive story about a great player, Dave got whistled for a false start. There was certainly never any intent to harm Inky Johnson or the UT athletic program in any way. The News Sentinel regrets UT's decision in taking this action but looks forward to continuing to provide fans with comprehensive coverage of the Vols."

----------------

Please rip this guy on this website. Give him the Albom treatment.

Tennessee is a state school funded in large part with taxpayer dollars. In my view, the sports information office has no right to suspend the guy's credentials -- none.

The SID's office says it's worried about the precedent that would be set by not getting its permission.

I worry about the precedent that's being set by the Knoxville editor.

We're seeing too many teams pulling credentials for something they don't like. It's dangerous.

The cutesy 'whistled for a false start' comment makes me want to rip the guy's head off.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does that attitude seem par for the course in SEC land? There was the whole publisher vs. reporter in the Auburn spat a few years ago. I probably shouldn't be painting every single paper that covers the SEC that way, and such attitudes aren't exclusive there, but perhaps a little more prevalent? Or no?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm only a young SE, but one of the first lessons I learned is you have your reporters back. This seems gutless.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I want that editor's name to become common usage on this website.

I often complain about folks using the word p***y in a negative light around here. Can we please substitute "Jack McElroy"?

As in: I watched The Bachelor: Rome with my gf. I feel like such a Jack McElroy.

------------------

Listen up, folks:

My station covers a pretty big team and even televises some of its games. When I interviewed for my current job, my first question to the boss was: Do you ever worry about pissing off X Team? And his answer was, "Absolutely NOT. We go after them like we would any powerful entity in this city."

Reminder: I work in friggin' TV, for crying out loud!

WTF ???

10. busuncle

busuncle Member

A few thoughts....

* Most college programs have rules that require athlete interviews be set up through the sports-information department. I understand why the rule is in place. You don't want players being called in their dorm rooms by reporters.

* However, the onus is on the university and the players to follow and enforce that rule. The media is not bound by it. If a player voluntarily granted an interview, which was obtained ethically and without harassment, then the Knox News has nothing to apologize for.

* Finally, as a reporter, you have to pick your battles carefully. Know the rules and understand that breaking the rules is going to make your life difficult. It's not worth it to incur the wrath of the entire athletics department for a BS story. For a big scoop, maybe it is.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Maybe there's more to this story that we don't know about, but what's here stinks to high heaven. The SE's response is pathetic, but not surprising considering his stated goal is to continue to provide "fans" with "comprehensive coverage". I'm guessing that coverage must not include anything that would tarnish ol' Rocky Top.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. This is pathetic, simpering and cowering.

Hack McElroy's response should have been:

We are willing to work with the University of Tennesee athletic department as much as possible, but when "working" with them means waiting for undetermined time for them to make a key player available for interviews, we will do all we can to get around their roadblock and provide news to readers.

Inky Johnson is a key player who is out with an injury. According to federal law, it his his decision whether he wants to speak about his injury and his recovery. He did and we provided the news to our readers.

Providing news -- even if hard to get, even if officials don't want us to pursue it -- is what a good newspaper does.

The University of Tennesee athletic department is the one that should look hard at itself to see if it is serving in the best interests of its athletes and fans of the Volunteers.

Oh, and bravo to Dave Hooker for getting the story as he did -- apparently without the knowledge and support of his bosses, it seems.

Draft saved Draft deleted