1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean sports news/copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by colonelmustard, May 11, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The ad says the SE is Alan Whitt.

If you call the paper and ask for Alan Whitt, a person will indeed answer and say "Alan Whitt, Sports."

I can vouch for that part.

2. It is amazing that an indy covers sports at all. In my burg, the local indy can't even spell sports. What's the circ of the city paper. Sounds like that may be a great gig, too!

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you don't cover sports, you shouldn't bother publishing in Nashville.

As I mentioned in other threads, I recently spent 2 weeks killing time in my old hometown (kudos to the excellent doctors and nurses at HCA's Centennial Hospital, btw, for saving my dad's life and providing excellent care in the process!) and read the Tennessean and CP daily for the first time in quite a while. The City Paper is a good read, with some lively stories and does have an alt-weekly feel to it (maybe cause it's tab, and it's free). But it's pretty limited in scope.

The Tennessean is vastly improved in the past few months. It's broken plenty of stories lately, provides good depth and follow-up as well. The sports section was very informative, deep, and entertaining. Much moreso than in the past.

Chris Low (Tennessean UT writer) is the best sports reporter in the state, if not all the SEC.

But I'll also throw Randy Horick's name in the mix. Whohe? He's the Nashville Scene (AltW) sports reporter/editor/columnist whatever and he regularly brings it. For my money, he's the best writer in town not employed by one of the music publishing companies!

Judge for yourself...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Sports/2006/05/18/Hail_to_the_Coach/index.shtml

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Sports/2006/05/11/He_Don_t_Get_No_Respect/index.shtml

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Today's Tennessean is an interesting example of the paper's renaissance...overboard coverage of McNair's trade to the Ravens, combined with in-depth coverage of the town's annual tourist festival. I'm sure it was a long night at 1600 Broadway, but the outcome deserves kudos in my opinion.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

5. HejiraHenry

They are ardent and effective practitioners of a page from the Gannett playbook that we're all going to hear more about:

"Flood the Zone."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. HejiraHenry

Eh. Didn't say i was a fan of it, just saying that's how it's going to be.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Anyone know whatever became of this job? Sounded pretty good.

9. HejiraHenry

I am reliably informed that a hire was made but that person hasn't started yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted