1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean sports news/copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by colonelmustard, May 11, 2006.

1. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

I'm not joking. Do you read these papers?

2. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Yes ... I really think the City Paper does a good job with what it has. It's not a bad product at all.
    But to say they "regularly kick the crap out of the Tennessean" is laughable.

UT and SEC stuff? Hell, no.
    Vandy? Hell, no.
    Titans? No.
    Preds? No.
    Columnists? No.
    High schools? Don't know.

It's like the thread comparing the AJC and the Athens paper. The B-H can't hope to stay ahead because its outgunned in so many ways by the big paper. Same thing here.

3. Monkey

Monkey Member

Ask Richard Kovalcheck what he thinks about that one...

4. How does the Tenn rate with other papers of its size and in the region? I've always thought this was a top paper.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It has long been, arguably, the best paper in the state besides the Commercial-Appeal of Memphis.

The Memphis paper -- while well-designed -- is an odd one, though, in which you sometimes have to dig around to find the Memphis news.

The Tennessean seemed hit a rough patch a few years ago, around the time they went to the narrow Web width and once-ubiquitous seven-column Gannett design.

It seems much improved to me now. I don't read it every day, though, so maybe I'm missing something about this whole "City Paper kicks ass" argument.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

City Paper is good in its niche, and it does more with sports than any other alt-weekly I've seen. But no way is it busting the Tennessean's chops on a day-in, day-out basis.

7. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

FlipSide, the Vandy coverage isn't even close. TCP kills them on that.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

1st lede writetghrough: City Paper is a 5-day daily product, although it still retains much of the soul of an alt-weekly product.

My bad.

9. whatgives

whatgives New Member

Any word how the new SE is working out?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At which paper? And the reason I ask, this thread seems to have been as much about The City Paper as The Tennessean.

11. whatgives

whatgives New Member

Tennessean.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I know Bill Bradley (now in Sacramento) used to be the SE. Never heard who succeeded him. I'd be interested to know as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted