1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean sports news/copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by colonelmustard, May 11, 2006.

1. What do we know about this one, other than the dreaded G-word?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=634900

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I have some sources in that shop.

I find the job title a little peculiar at first blush.

I'll ask and get back to you ...

3. HejiraHenry

One thing I have quickly discovered is that the sports desk is, at present, quite rather understaffed. At least one position is being temped by a former news desker.

This position must be part of a ramping-up process to get them back to full staff.

4. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Very good paper in a growing city.

One could do much, much worse, IMO

5. HejiraHenry

Bumping this back up from the bottom of the third page.

Any whispers?

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Who wants to work there? The staff at The Tennessean is all idiots and they don't hire Vandy grads....at least that's what the local alt-weekly says.

7. I don't want to be a wise azz, and this paper turned me down twice (once for a college internship, once after) - pointing out that I have mightily tried to get to Nashville - but is this a good paper? I've heard a bunch of people lately telling me the Tennessean is next to awful. That's VERY hard for me to believe. But is that true? And if so, why?
    Again, I'm not throwing rocks. Just curious sd to why some people I know are.

8. HejiraHenry

Some people on the board have Gannett Derangement SyndromeTM, which is somewhat akin to the postings you see on the Anything Goes side of the board, where some folks are infected with Bush Derangement SyndromeTM.

9. Yeah, I know how this board can be (pretty much every job has detractors, even if they'd jump at it in a second. I also suspect people diss certain jobs to keep the competition away). But I've heard (from news side people, not sports) from people not on the board that Nashville stinks as a paper. That comes as a total surprise for me.

10. HejiraHenry

I worked in sports there once upon a time. I still have friends there, so I'm going to take a pass on doing much of a critique.

There are others on the board who can be more objective about it. As far as assessing the sports section, I would pay attention only to the opinion of people qualified to assess that, without regard to what the other sections are or are not doing.

I see it regularly and rather enjoy reading the sports section, I will say that much.

11. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

The Nashville City Paper regularly kicks the crap out of the Tennessean, especially in sports.

12. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

That's a joke, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted