1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean sitting on story about McNair's mistresses?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 17, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Dooley---why are you such an apologist for Gore? I"ll grant you that half the world thinks he's a genius with great foresight, while the offer half think he's a whacko nutcase.

Forget all this stuff about putting his writing in proper "context." You could make that same excuse for anyone's writings. So, what happens when you read his entire book and find that as a body of work it still is bizarre. What's the "proper context" then?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, judge it on that, but I'm sure as hell ain't gonna judge by a bunch of pull quotes, and as much as one may for some reason hate Gore, he sure the hell is not comparable to the Unabomber.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gore's a joke. I don't hate him.

I just found the comparison to Halberstam laughable. The Unabomber comparison is long standing and funny -- and more accurate than any comparison to Halberstam.

I hope the Tennessean has had better writers grace their pages than Al Gore.

Btw, how'd you do on the quiz? I scored 33%. And did you read the book, or or you just blindly defending him?

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

That quiz is the biggest farce I've ever seen. When has anyone ever said that every single sentence the Unabomber wrote was completely nuts?

Let's try this - #6 in the quiz:

Wow. A pair of completely factual, accurate sentences that aren't even vaguely controversial. Al Gore must be a raving lunatic if you can't tell whether he wrote that boring passage or if the Unabomber wrote it.

Or this one (#2):

Good lord, one of them thinks that World War II was about defeating fascism! If I can't tell which one knows basic 20th Century history, they must both be insane!

5. clutchcargo

Gore is a big blowhard doofus---albeit one worth $100 million because so many people are too busy glorifying him while still wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth over the 2000 election to take the time to vet and test what he says and writes.

I wonder if all that power he and Tipper burn up in their nashville home is being done so he can keep all the lights on and stay up all hours of the night while he writes his next masterpiece.

6. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Striking parallels in the written views of Al Gore and the Unabomber, and holding a story on McNair's mistress... Am I missing something here?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, sj in microcosm.

8. clutchcargo

Dooley---where do you find the time, inspiration and need to post more than 40,000 times on this web site? I've been here about three years and post every time I have something to say, or at least an itch to scratch, and I"m still well short of 1,000. You must really, really be dedicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted