1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean sitting on story about McNair's mistresses?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 17, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If this is a DB, apologies and the mods can nuke it.

The story also contains some pointed comments about the general decline of the Tennessean.

2. I saw this on Deadspin and I think it is bullshit.
    I support the Tennessean on this on.
    They have a no anonymous sources policy and the story - if the rumor is true - is chock full of them. Seems pretty cut and dry.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm with Evil. The "no anonymous sources" thing is a tough one to uphold, but if that's your hook then you go with it.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't know that I see an inherent news value in these other women unless one of them was somehow affiliated with the crime. That me the case with the alleged "third woman," but why bother with anybody else?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gore may have gone on to be famous & successful, but is their evidence that he was a "brilliant young reporter"?

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

There are some good people at the Tennessean, but the sports section has definitely been on the decline for the past few years.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Clay Travis is a world-class asshole. I've talked to people at cbs.com and one quote was "He always believes he's the smartest person in any room he's in." For him to degrade Joe Biddle, a good guy and a good writer if there ever was one, is classless. To also rip the Tennessean sports section for not covering the SEC tournament, or Tennessee away games, displays a remarkable lack of knowledge about the news business. Do you think for a minute that if the higher-ups than the Nashville SE had not cut off the money, that they wouldn't be covering that stuff? Wouldn't any paper be covering their beats as normal, if they still had the money? Travis and other idiots act as if the newspapers each made independent decision to all of a sudden not cover stuff just because. In reality, they're not doing it because people of Travis' age group aren't reading newspapers (which advertisers know), because they too much of a bunch of lazy asses.

Fuck you Clay. You can burn bridges and be a flame-thrower and not source things properly because you're not a journalists. You have a blog and you feel as if you can write like dweebs in a sports bar talk, and that's okay. But don't condemn newspapers who have standards ... something you're sorely lacking.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Can't disagree with much you've got here, but when you say this ...
    ... on another thread and then call this guy an asshole and tell him to fuck off? Rocks, glass houses, etc.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

big difference.... I didn't call Travis an asshole in a national publication. And he insulted people who I know personally, and was very clear he didn't know them.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess Hondo won't be a member of Clay Nation anytime soon.

;D But really, why the fuck would anybody care what Clay Travis has to say about anything except how to maintain a craptastic beard?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Clay Travis is a great redneck name.

12. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=jMncSHXvJSAC&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=al+gore+senior+thesis+%22richard+neustadt%22&source=bl&ots=LMFR6UWveT&sig=aqkFMF41j3aBUb-ne82ncRAPuRM&hl=en&ei=jFphSrS2KMeltgeby6GyAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

"The Prince of Tennessee," David Maraniss, Ellen Nakashima

Draft saved Draft deleted