1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Here are the (very vague) job descriptions from Pensacola. Though Romenesko says they're from Corporate, they are not all identical across the five sites.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/08/08/here-are-the-new-jobs-being-offered-to-gannett-journalists/

Applications from potential managers were due by Friday at 5 p.m.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Pensacola has a dedicated pro guy, much less a college guy.

I'd love to have that Patriotism beat, though.

3. PaperDoll

"A Romenesko reader" has created job descriptions so corporate, it's difficult to believe they don't already exist somewhere.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/08/10/bullshit-artist-1-and-other-parody-gannett-job-titles-and-descriptions/

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If I was still working in Nashville, I would hope my "news dashboard" had been ripped out of a 1980 Fiat Brava. I loved that little car.

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Incumbent pro/college guy there is Bill Vilona, who qualifies for the vaunted SportsJournalists.com "good people" seal. He was Gannett's Florida State beat writer prior to Gannett picking up the Tallahassee Democrat. And Pensacola does have minor-league baseball now (Southern League's Blue Wahoos) to go along with SPHL hockey and Division II (for now) University of West Florida. Not to mention a bunch of big-name athletes who hail from the PNJ coverage area (Derrick Brooks, Roy Jones Jr., and Bubba Watson, to name a few).

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Didja buy it from Bill Andree at the Car Store down by the Sears on Lafayette?

7. HejiraHenry

No, from a used car lot in Murfreesboro.

8. HejiraHenry

I'm told that Gannett was in talks with "a local ownership prospect" in Nashville sometime in the second quarter. Didn't quite connect, but I suspect it's just a matter of time.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd bet all 13 dollars in my wallet that The Tennessean isn't owned by Gannett by the end of 2015 and if it hasn't changed hands by then it is only because the deal fell through.

The only real question is if the other Gannett papers in Tennessee go along for the ride. That's the potential hiccup for any Tennessean sale.

10. HejiraHenry

Nashville should be basically a real estate play for any smart buyer, But I'd want all of the "Gannett Tennessee" papers if I was making a deal - and I would suspect they'd want to throw them all in.

11. PaperDoll

It looks like the five-site pilot program is spreading quickly. Those five sites already started the reorg, with management interviews this week and everybody else in the two weeks after that.

Indianapolis will have to re-interview soon, and a friend in Westchester said they're scheduled for October.

At that rate, there won't be any local Gannett copy editors by the end of the year.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Can't let this bit of corporate happyspeak pass without comment:

Uh ... isn't that what reporters and editors should have been doing all along?

In the old days, this was called "working your sources."

Draft saved Draft deleted