1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Which reminds me of "Ice cream of the future" for some reason.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Asbury Park is the NJ one. Can't speak for the others, but the Carolinas are in extremely good hands with Josh Awtry.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's better now by some margin. Not even close. I think it's pretty good, personally.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/2014/08/05/asbury-park-press-changes/13643169/

Here's the Asbury Park Press version of the story. Notice how copy editors are not mentioned... because they're all going to be repurposed as web producers -- or laid off.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I notice those columns don't allow reader comments. Might spoil the party.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Damn those pesky layers. Out, vile jelly!

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"The stories they write will be based on what you read and click on."

So who gives a shit about the $10 million town budget story. We'll do a local reaction on Kim Kardashian's latest wardrobe choices.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent post. Who(m) is Gannett kidding? These executive editors that put out these stories think the world is stupid I guess. No, we are laughing AT YOU maam. Readers know that all these changes have shrunk and pretty much wrecked the industry. Go ahead and lay off all the copy editors and let reporters post stuff directly. Gee, that sounds like a good idea.
    These stuffed shirt executive editors are sellouts who get to keep their jobs. Good for them. We're not fooled by them, though. Neither are the readers. Keep smiling, executive editors are you sell out. Geez.

9. Fredrick

Great post. She fools none of us. Sellout.

10. Fredrick

Somebody still has to lay out the paper and write the headlines and meet the deadlines. It's not going all online, is it? So who the hell is going to do that job? The print product is a 7-day a week gorilla. Since no paper will pay overtime, it still takes several desk people to put out the paper. Oh wait ... I forgot the possibility the paper is laid out in some other city in some command center.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When you hear "newsroom of the future" just think ... Thunderdome.

It lasted 1 year, and 50+ careers were turned upside-down.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think they're going to do it all in Nashville.

Here's Pensacola's version. Same song, different verse, albeit with a more patronizing headline and a creepier looking executive editor.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2014/08/05/exciting-changes-ahead-pnj/13622973/

Draft saved Draft deleted