1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Does anybody else feel that "our employees will have the opportunity to choose the jobs they want to apply for" mean bad things?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought counting minorities in the stories was the journalism of the future? It's not? What about something about Real Life, Real News? Or giving a new nickname to the newsroom? Something like ... I know... an Information Center! This is going to take some blue balls to implement.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think it would be hysterical if everyone applied for the EE's job.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heck, I can "choose to apply for" the position of Chief Cardiac Surgeon at the Mayo Clinic. Means nothing.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A bit of a reality check here. I don't think Dave Ammenheuser has much to worry about. Everyone is having to reapply for jobs, but his principal patron - the who brought him there from Riverside - isn't one of those having to reapply for her job.

FYI: Among the people spared this absurd process is David Climer. He and a couple of other non-sports columnists got the get-out-of-jail-free card.

But the reapplying process is just kabuki theater. They decided who they were going to keep and who they were going to cut long before this process tipped today. That's how they roll.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Having seen the Advance process up close, a lot of familiar names will go... but a lot of names will also stay. That was the biggest thing I worried about. Would our staff be all new and consist of novices?

It didn't turn out that way. It's smaller, of course, but there are a lot of veteran names.

Per Romenesko: Five Gannett papers are in on this "newsroom of the future" project, including Asheville and Pensacola. I checked to see if Detroit would be involved, since they haven't been "butterflied" as of yet, but the Freep looks like they're out of this.

7. disgruntledgrunt

disgruntledgrunt New Member

Shallow Stefanie strikes. To call her an empty suit is an insult to empty suits everywhere.
    I am sure she believes she did a wonderful job with selling this, because of all the cutesy buzzwords she found she could use.

8. HejiraHenry

I think we have the five, then: Nashville, Asheville, Pensacola, Greenville (S.C.) and one of the Jersey papers.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The picture of her smiling atop the column is all you need to see.

10. Didn't USA Today do this with their sports section a couple years ago? A difficult (and unfair) process but hard to argue USAT's section isn't better than it was before the reorg. That being said, best of luck to all in Nashville.

11. HejiraHenry

USAT sports seems pretty weak to me now, so it must have really been awful.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The newsroom of the future that's been tried in numerous newsrooms across the country countless times over the past decade alone!

Draft saved Draft deleted