1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Every buzzword known to man can be found here:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/08/05/tennessean-unveils-bold-new-structure-for-newsroom/13622987/

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Reading just the first few paragraphs has already got a "translating corporate bullshit response" writeup dancing through my head, along these lines.

Translation: "We are cutting jobs and laying off people, while making those who remain do more work, while having to train the cheaper replacements we brought in."

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They didn't have one?

At least one of my former South Florida colleagues seems to be getting one heck of a promotion.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How bold.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, the UT job was not the promotion I was referring to.

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Sports editor Dave Ammenheuser and two of his assistants have had their positions eliminated, which is beyond ridiculous. Dave does incredible, ambitious work, and you'd think any top-shelf outlet would be thrilled to have a leader and journalist of his caliber.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ha. Yep.

And those cheaper replacements last about 3 years before they say screw it and go write press releases for insurance agencies.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So did the sports editor and the two assistants do anything besides think-tanking? Did they do layout or ? I'm just trying to figure out how you can lay off those three positions.
    My guess is some muckety-muck will "run" the sports department and they've added the columnist and UT writer. The problem, if I'm reading this correctly, is somebody who doesn't know squat about sports will be demanding these poor sports writers/columnists go to incessant numbers of meetings and pretty much drive them insane as they try to do their jobs.
    So again ... what did these 3 editors do? Was it all planning, etc?, that the executive editor thinks some news editor can tackle easily? What's going on there?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Just like in Alabama.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone new to the biz, if you read a memo like this at any time...start sending out resumes. Gannett has been touting the "journalism of the future" for 20 years. If it hasn't happened already. It won't.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

So true. Feel free to create your own translations.
    "Highly engaged group": Read: Fewer staff will work harder.
    "redefined jobs" Read: Lower paying.
    (Newsrooms jobs) "Changing dramatically" Read: People in the wrong positions.
    "Ambitious project" Read: Throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks
    "Newsroom of the future" Read: Fewer staff, less quality.
    "Exciting new structure" Read: CEO will get a bonus.
    "Scientific principles" Read: Hits on digital articles
    "YOUR needs and wants" Read: You like the Kardashians? Here ya go.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

In corporate bullshit speak, that is "exciting opportunities for advancement."

Draft saved Draft deleted