1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sandman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sherborne and Quillen surely made a killing on the buyout; they were there forever.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Says 42 people will be wishing they were elsewhere while feeling stuck at the Tennessean. Nice job, management, keeping the troops inspired.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Could be people didn't want to be around for the day when departures become involuntary.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Back in the day, though, either one of them coulda drunk up a big buyout check in a long weekend.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Everybody jumps on buyouts because they know the severance for the next whacking is the box they give you to take the personal items from your desk.

My father worked in telecom most of his life, and the first buyout he took, so many other people took it that the company had to hire people back, including my father. Then another buyout came -- not nearly so generous -- but he took it anyway. That's two buyouts between the ages of 50 and 55, if you're counting.

I'm sure that's why the Tennessean -- and others -- have a cap on who can take the buyout: because anyone in any position to do something else jumps on it in a hurry.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'd take a buyout like that in a heartbeat. My formula would be 26 years X 2 weeks = one year's pay.
    Bring that shit on.

7. ...a year's pay to leave Gannett.

Bring that shit on, fo sho.

8. Sandman

Sandman Member

A nice farewell column. Woody didn't want to write one, so another columnist -- Joe Biddle -- did the honors for him.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070818/COLUMNIST0201/708180362/1106/SPORTS

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess the Tennessean has so many Pulitzer-winning journos hanging around that they were okay with Melvin Claxton leaving.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Does this mean there won't be any openings at the Tennessean anytime soon?

Damn that sucks. That is a good paper.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

did you forget the blue font?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And now management knows 42 people who want to leave their lovely company.

Draft saved Draft deleted