1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sandman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57277

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Larry Woody?

Goddamn.

3. Wow, 20 years of service get you roughly 10 months of pay ...

This sucks.

4. Sandman

Sandman Member

Woody was the NASCAR and outdoors writer and occasional columnist. Older fella, been there forever -- not much of a writer, but beloved by the good ol' boy network in Nashville.

5. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

geez... hate that for Woody. One of the best guys out there on the racing beat from the dealings I've had at the racetrack.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not much of a speller, certainly, back in the day when I was editing his stuff, but I always thought he had skillz as a writer. The game has changed in 30 years, of course, but he's the first (and maybe only) person I ever saw who could dictate a real gamer with his notebook in one hand and the phone in the other.

And it wasn't like he had the story written down in the notebook, he was working from his raw notes. Quite the high-wire act, and I never saw him fall off.

I thought Outdoors was a real good fit for him. If I recall correctly, the previous outdoors guy, Charles Searcy, also got shuffled off in some fashion.

Ghianni I never worked with but I always had a high opinion of when he was in Clarksville (wasn't it? yeah, I think so).

A couple of the others I knew back in the day. For my part, I thought it would have been funny if Larry Taft had taken the buyout so soon after being named SE, but of course that wasn't going to happen.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought this was all supposed to happen a year or two ago?
    Or at least that was the rumor then, that Woody was one from sports who would be leaving along with a handful of other newsroom employees.
    And how could Green take the buyout if he doesn't work for them anymore.
    I thought he was doing the Freedom Forum or something like that

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Geez, 66 wanted out and 24 were accepted. What does that say about the paper.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Gannett's cancer is spreading throughout the industry.

They chew you up, they spit you out, and one of the real dumbasses of the industry picks up the carcass, shakes it, throws it against the ground and steps on whatever falls out of it.

If I come back reincarnated as a vigilante, I know some people who are in jeopardy. That is, if I die tomorrow. If not, then I'll follow their family tree.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Whoever it was here who said Woody wasn't much of a writer is clueless. He's no Rick Reilly, but Woody's consistently churning out good copy and some of it makes you laugh without his trying too hard. And no one knows NASCAR better than he does, even though it's been a coon's age since the big circuit went through Nashville.

11. Babs

Babs Member

Sounds like Woody should stick to what he knows best then. I've read him try to write about other sports and it wasn't pretty.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Damn! You usually hear of few people wanting to accept a buyout. Seems like everybody there wanted to get the fuck out.

Draft saved Draft deleted