1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Years Ago

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Aug 28, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's been ten years today since the anchor in my family, my grandpa, died.

Ten years. Kinda hard to believe, really.

Growing up I always thought Pop would never die, that he was invinceable. He was my idol, my hero, my guiding force in life.

He was the one that was always there when my dad wasn't. He was the one who took me to ballgames and he was the one who took me everywhere he went.

He was the one who, along with my grandma, raised me when my mom worked second shift.

Today is going to be tough.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Good luck to you, ky, on making it through the day.

Both of my grandfathers died well before I was born (one when my mom was eight, the other when my dad was...25ish?), so I've always been a touch envious of folks who had even one in their lives, since I was (and still am) such a tomboy.

Sending hugs your way today, kiddo.

3. ditto what ducky said, except my grandparents a.) lived thousands of miles away and b.) both grandmothers were dead before i turned 5. (never really saw the grandfathers.) i really wish i had that bond. nonetheless, i'm sure it makes your pain no less today. my best to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted