1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Most Offensive kinds of restaurant behaviour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How to behave is a lesson that is learned at home, and if your kids are well behaved in a restaurant they've already learned it.
    Many parents today do not teach this lesson.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's always other peoples' kids who misbehave in restaurants. :)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's funny how much better parents and kids always used to be.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have kids.
    I do think children's behavior in public, around guests and when visiting has declined.
    However, I don't find that surprising becaus many adults ignore social conventions, politeness, civlity and manners. It's hardly surprising that there children are unfamilar with appropriate behavior.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If you would like to see a real top-of-the-line example of lack of refinement in a restaurant, let me suggest that you check out The Original Mr. Creosote here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29QfOyuZ3Y

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Took WAY too long for somebody to post this.

11. Waiters who relentlessly push the wahfer theen meent.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Declined since when? Compared with what?

Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were rascals. Dennis has been a Menace for about 60 years.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In my anecdotal, completely subjective experience.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've noticed a lot of what Buck has. So many kids I see in restaurants (including those related to me) cannot sit still. They're up and walking around, standing up and walking over to see their parents and constantly fidgety, even when they have stuff that's supposed to keep them occupied. When I was a kid, my parents took me out to eat all the time (several times a week). I didn't get up from the table and I didn't need to be entertained during the entire meal. I don't see much of that these days.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It all depends on the age of the child, and some kids, no matter how hard the parents try are still a pain in the ass in public.

I don't have kids, but one of my parents' favourite stories about me is how I cleared out an entire section of a packed fancy restaurant in Jasper when I was, I'm going to say 18 mos. However, I was a mostly well behaved kid growing up beyond that.

My nephew, on the other hand, my sister does her best to crack down on him, doesn't let him get away with much, works hard on teaching him manners, respecting his elders, etc. but he can be a pain in the ass at times in public, particularly in restaurants. He's six.

At risk of painting with a broad brush, I think a lot of it has to do with today's society and how different kids are raised, even from when I was a kid 20 some odd years ago. You look at the diet (huge increase in the crap they eat, from fast food to sugar, etc.), the activity (far more video games/watching TV), the time parents have to put into their kids (Both parents working is far more common today), I would venture all three have taken a nose dive, even at early years, from previous generations. Even the mentality that is programmed into our kids unintentionally has changed, where back in the day I remember hearing a lot of "Suck it up" where as today there is far more coddling.

But that's just my 2 Cents as someone without kids, although as an observational point watching all my friends who do have kids, which is just about every single one of them.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No kids are perfect. I don't expect every kid to be perfectly behaved at all times.
    I think adults are less well mannered than they used to be, so kids are less well mannered.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

6. ALTERING FOOD TO THE POINT OF ABSURDITY

Like a scene out of "When Harry Met Sally," some people ask for so many changes to the food they're ordering, it makes one wonder why they chose that dish. By the time they're finished, they can turn a hamburger into a slice of pizza.[/quote]

My college friend always ordered water with lots and lots of extra lemons and then dumped every pack of sweetener in the table in his glass to make lemonade. That annoyed me.

Draft saved Draft deleted