1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't close the voting box just yet:

http://deadspin.com/usc-students-made-the-most-usc-video-possible-1342341615?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Green Bay? There's a reason I prefer to see the Packers in other city's stadiums than going to Lambeau. Half the stadium is filled with good, normal people. The other half look like they belong on X-Files. It's like there isn't a dentist north of GB.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Part of Arkansas' problem is that it's a (rather) small state with limited population and not much else to cheer for. Sort of like, say, West Virginia.

I know Arkansas has profited financially from the move to the SEC. But, competition wise, they are in a bit over their heads --- something Missouri is also finding out. They might compete for a league title in football or basketball once every 8-10 years. Most years, a .500 conference record is about typical.

Can't help but wonder how life might have been for them in a revised Big XII with the Oklahoma and Texas schools as rivals.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How on earth do some of those people afford tickets to an NFL game?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Missouri and Arkansas should be in the Big 12. So should A&M. Just because A&M can hang with the rest of the SEC (for now) doesn't mean it should. It will be interesting to see how good A&M is when Manziel leaves and I have a feeling Sumlin will be in the NFL within a year or two as well.

I don't blame any team for leaving or not wanting anything to do with the Big 12 after the deal that Texas cut. Nobody wants to be in a conference where it's Texas and the 11 dwarfs. That's why it's hilarious that Texas is struggling right now.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Texas hasn't made many friends in recent years. Sort of like Notre Dame in the old days --- or even recent days.

A league of Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and Iowa State would be formidable. And if Texas had been a good neighbor, Nebraska probably wouldn't have bolted, either.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. Rozelle was much better at drawing out the suspense of the pick. He'd say the team ... pause ... the position ... pause ... crowd starts to react .... then the player. Tags just read the whole thing like an accountant at a meeting.

2. Freeman McNeil doesn't belong on that compilation. Terrific player.

3. Yes, the fans reacted to the Lageman pick and Kiper made his soundbite which will live forever. However, Lageman did become an excellent player for about 7-8 years. Johnny Mitchell also had a couple good years before flaming out.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think anything the Jets fans have ever done compares to Philly fans having jerseys made of a player who they know their team isn't picking and traveling to New York to boo the pick.

Even as much as I hate Donovan McNabb, it proved to be the right pick.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Iowa State needs to be in the MAC

10. Mizzougrad96

I have to give the SEC credit, for a conference with so many elite teams, it doesn't seem like anyone has gotten as greedy as Texas and Notre Dame has.

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The dumbest fan base does not belong to a particular team; rather, it's of a specific player:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mizzougrad96

That would be Florida fans. Those protesting are not Jaguars fans.

Florida should be a no-brainer to be in the top 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted