1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Travis is just trolling, but he's right. Arkansas fans do have a highly-overinflated view of their status within the SEC (and nationally), in both football and men's basketball.

The basketball team hasn't been nationally relevant since losing their repeat bid in 1995. The football team will contend for an SEC title once a decade. The football Hogs haven't been the same since Jimmy Johnson and Miami came in and destroyed them in '87.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was at the Miami-Arkansas game in 1987. We all spent that week talking ourselves into Arkansas being able to hang with Miami and even win.

38-0 Miami at half. 51-7 the final. Full game is even on YouTube now.

You're right. Arkansas won the SWC the following two years but we all knew they probably wouldn't be national title caliber. The Program really was never the same except for that little glimpse with McFadden and Felix Jones. Yet the fan base is so delusional.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jets fans hold a special place because every draft pick of some hyped player is a great pick?

Most of their history has been about the exact OPPOSITE of that. They have spent much of the franchise's history booing draft picks (usually with cause) like it is a bodily function.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Blair Thomas: Where two worlds collide.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My two favorites:

The guy in the cheap seats who says, "Everybody said if Marino was going to be around at that time, they'd take Marino. Obviously the Jets know something that, you know, the people up here don't."

And. ... the crowd chanting. "We want Sapp! We want Sapp!" . ... "The New York Jets select tight end, from Penn State, Kyle Brady."

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love listening to Vol Calls.

Bob Kesling: "Now for our next caller, Steve from Elizabethton. Go ahead, Steve."
    "I think if we can outscore (other team) today, we'll win. Go Vols!"
    Kesling: "I'd say you're right. Johnny from Del Rio, go ahead."
    "I've been hold for 39 minutes and just wanted to say Go Vols!"
    Kesling: "Yes sir. Ronnie from Johnson City..."
    "Uhhh, yeah, Bob ... do you know what Coach Jones had for breakfast before the Austin Peay game? We need to give the boys some of that. I'll hang up and listen to your comment. Oh, Go Vols!"

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"Well, I'M a Gator fan, and I'm calling you right now ..."

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to the Alabama entry. Those people really are the gift that keeps on giving.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My favorite line from the Arkansas one: It's like people in Moldova arguing Moldova is the best European country.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Any fan base that willingly wears red plastic urinals to football games, as they do in Pig-Sooey Land, jumps near the top of the list of dumbest fan bases.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mine:

"He's been fired from six different Wal Marts for a variety of employment offenses including, but not limited to, illegally filming with an audio/video display camera in the women's bathroom, stealing Razorback football jerseys that he subsequently lit on fire when Bobby Petrino was fired"

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Tennessee one is pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted