1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temporary Sports Editor, Tracy, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 30, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Tracy Press needs a temporary sports editor/reporter to cover games, write features and run the desk during the month our editor takes vacation. This is a great opportunity for a creative self-starter eager to do a variety of work in a small time. We have enough — nationally competitive youth baseball teams, fishing and hunting on the Delta, a NASCAR-sanctioned racetrack — to keep anybody busy and interested. You'll oversee interns who will take care of the busy work and help with coverage. This is an ideal position for a journalist with editorial experience on a college newspaper who needs some "real-world" work — and it may work into a permanent position here. Contact Cheri Matthews, cherim@tracypress.com.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

A one-month SE tryout with interns and no preps? If you can make something out of that, you deserve a full-time gig. Of course, since many Bay Area commuters live out that way, you'll have some nice traffic to go with your hot summer.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Gee, let me at it. I'll move down there, then in a month, go looking for someplace else. And in the meantime, I'll live in the box I had to rent while there on the menial salary in an extreme cost-of-living scenario.

Memo to company: If you want something that happens with ease, shit in your hand.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I've seen some fucked-up job ads from time to time. This one, however, ranks top 3. Minimum.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

Doesn't this paper use the cover of the Oakland Tribune anyway? I don't think there is much substance to this sports department.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Would not the words "temporary sports editor" describe every similar opening at Journal Register Company?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The scariest words in that ad are "nationally competitive youth baseball teams."

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

I've never seen an ad like that. Unfreaking real!

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Another example of how newspaper suits think these days.

They are passing out shit all around, and they think they can attract someone good who will come in and slave away for, what, $8.50 an hour, and for just a month?

God help anyone who actually wants this job.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

I wonder how long the hiring process will take.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

anyone think good ole cheri laughed just a bit to herself when she sent that one to jj.com?

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

I'm going on vacation in a month. I'll be gone a week. Do I need send an ad out for a temporary replacement?

Draft saved Draft deleted