1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temporary Sports Desk Editor, Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Death, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Death

Death Member

The Seattle Times Company, the largest newspaper in Washington, seeks a temporary Desk Editor to join one of the best sports desks in the country. Daily newspaper experience is required. Must be a skilled wordsmith with good sports knowledge and the ability to write clever headlines and work under deadline pressure. Must be flexible to work nights and weekends.

Send resume and one-page cover letter by Aug. 1 to: dshelton@seattletimes.com or to:

Don Shelton, Assistant Sports Editor
    The Seattle Times
    P.O. Box 70
    Seattle, WA 98109

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I like Don Shelton. but I don't know how to feel about Death posting job openings.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Temporary?

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

That was my thought, too.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

At least it's honest. Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea for other job opening to slap that disclaimer on the front.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, the listing failed to answer the obvious questions: How long and what happens after?

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Considering who posted it, I guess you take the job, work a while ... and then, my friend, you die.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd get relocation money and then tell 'em to shove temporary up their asses.

9. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

I thought everything in this biz these days is considered temporary...Personally, I'm day to day.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thank you, Dan Patrick.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen them advertise temps in past years; I knew a guy who temped for them on news-side in the 1980s. I'm astonished that they wouldn't just be forced to work shorthanded nowadays.

12. probably easy for them to dump full-timers than dump the temps who may not be guild members, may make less than the rest of the desk and have far less job security.

Draft saved Draft deleted