1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple kid goes homeless for a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Mar 10, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Interesting story from todays Philly Inq about a Temple senior (a features writer for the school rag, no less) deciding to spend his spring break living with Philly's homeless. I have to admit, the kid has a pair of stones on him.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16874453.htm

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was hoping the kid had written the story.

One thing's for sure. This training will come in handy when he gets a job at some CNHI paper.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

From what I remember in the story, the first part of his story comes out the Tuesday Temple goes back to class. I'll be sure to pick up a copy when I'm in Philly then, and also try to find the paper's website and post it here.

4. This sounds like a good story, but I don't understand why the guy pretty much gave his whole story to the Inquirer before it appeared in the Temple News -- a college newspaper, yes, but still his paper. It's almost as if he outscooped himself.

5. Cuz he wants a job.

6. Beat me to it. What would look better in a clip package -- having this story in the Inky or in your college newspaper?

7. Now he has both.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Maybe he's trying to drum up extra readership by agreeing to let the Inquirer tell it first, then people will want to pick up the Temple News.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

LOL! Well played.

10. He's going to get a job based on his work, not what someone else wrote about him, especially a story before his story even came out. What if his story isn't as good as the Inquirer's story -- or what if it's just not that good? Anybody can tackle a story like this. It's the execution that editors are going to notice.

Besides that, the Temple News is free, so it's not like he's drumming up extra business. I don't even know if I'd click on the story now -- he already gave away the highlights. I think it would have been better to have learned of the story after he wrote it, not before.

11. Ike, if I had been this guy's college newspaper editor I would've been pissed. You're right, it's not helping the college newspaper and it wasn't meant to. But if you're in that guy's shoes, an opportunity to be in the Inquirer, and more importantly, inside the Inquirer is what you're after. He's hoping to show that he has what it takes.

Draft saved Draft deleted