1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telling friends they could lose a few pounds?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If you know your friends and know the relationship yet still feel the need to come here to ask if it's appropriate, what does that tell you?

Like the old saying "if you have to ask the price..."

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Great to see you, it's been such a long time."

"Yes, it has. Say, it looks like you've put on a lot of weight."

"Really? Where?

OH SHIT! GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME!"

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just do what a former co-worker of mine did to me about 10 years. Have their kid in the second or third grade walk up to them and say "you're fat"

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The difference Wenders is they aren't the same body type. Pringle and his wife are coming from a point of health and fitness and their friends obviously aren't. And while they clearly have an open dialog about many issues of their lives, weight gain and fitness obviously isn't one of them.

Pringle, again, if your friends wife brings it up as she did, take that opportunity to talk to them about it and offer your help and support. But wait for them to bring it up again and watch the tone, be extra careful to not to be condescending and handle with kid gloves. It may still backfire, but if they are showing some willingness to talk that may be one way in. And if one of them bring it up, don't say "We've been meaning to talk to you about that . . ."

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that's a rough one... My oldest pointed to a NFL coach, who generally isn't regarded as "fat" but could definitely lose some weight (Not Ryan) and said, "That guy is as big as you Daddy."

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you absolutely must, I like the approach of asking if he'll join you on walks or at the gym, etc. Bringing up weight is only going to cause hurt feelings.

Doing it in a less than diplomatic fashion can only lead to resentment.

Draft saved Draft deleted