1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell us your tat story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One of my contentions on the other thread is that people get tattoos for themselves, not others. But behind each tattoo there is usually a story and since we're mostly all storytellers here, why not tell the story of why you got your tattoo and what it means to you? If you'd like to post a picture of it, all the better.

I'll go first. I had wanted a tattoo since I was a teenager, but wasn't about to fall into the barbed-wire biceps crowd. I wanted one that meant something to me, but never quite figured it out.

Back in 2004, I took a trip to Thailand with my cousin and his friend. While there, we went on a three-day trek in the jungle and, at one point, came across a king cobra, which quickly slithered away. Our guide, Kai, said he hadn't seen one in a few years and that, while they're native to the area, it's fairly rare to see one.

A few days and a few hundred miles later, we were bobbing around in the ocean when I suddenly visualized the tattoo I would get if I ever got one. I suggested we all get one while on the island we were on. Our friend Jim was in, my cousin was not. Later that afternoon, I mentioned that we were thinking about getting tats to the owner of a bar we were frequenting.

He was a 24-year-old englishman who leased a tiki bar and had a lot of work done on his back. He suggested we go to the guy who did much of his work across the island. Following his recommendation, we found "Mr. Zee" and looked through his books of artwork. Nothing really struck me, so I described what I had in mind. He sat down and drew an outline in 5 minutes. It was exactly how I described it.

So he went to work and, after getting the outline done, he took a quick break. I thought he was done and liked it, but figured I'd get it done more detailed back in the states. Then he came back and went to work shading it. After a total of four hours, this was what I had on my left calf:

[​IMG]

It was my first time leaving the country and while I would never forget it anyway, this is a nice reminder of that trip that I get to see every day.

Let's hear your stories.

EDIT: image was reversed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Man, you have a long, thick penis.

3. bigpern23

I just snorted a Sam Summer on my keyboard. Thanks. :D

4. bigpern23

Shameless bump, as promised. :)

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The last tattoo I got, waves around my left wrist, I got because I thought it looked cool.

The one before that, my last name surounded by flames that covers the inside of my forearm, is a tribute tattoo for my father. He was a fireman for 29 years, and last year, when he was diagnosed with lung cancer and hs prognosis was uncertain, I took him to the tattoo parlor when I got it done. He loved it. He's now cancer-free, and both the tattoo and spending time with him at the tattoo parlor that day will always be memorable.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

OK, I'll tell mine.

I've been a pacifist/anti-war/whatever you want to call it since I was 11 or 12, and my mother took me to my first pacifist sit-in.

By the time I was 15, I wanted a peace sign tattoo. As I got older, I continued to want a some sort of peace symbol as a tattoo, just not the goofy '70s peace sign.

When I was 25, I started going to Quaker meetings instead of "real church" (as my mother calls it). Soon after, I decided that since I'd wanted a tattoo with a peace symbol for over 10 years, I'd get one as a way of commemorating finding my place in religious life.

After another six months of researching different peace symbols in different cultures, I decided to go with a dove, which was both a symbol of a deeply held belief in pacifism and my chosen religion.

After a few more months (and with my 26th birthday quickly approaching), somebody showed me picasso's dove of peace sketch, and it was perfect.

I got my tat on my 26th birthday. It really can't be seen. Not only is it on my back and covered by clothing, but it's in flesh colored ink. I've had boyfriends not notice it, but I know it's there.

It probably needs to be redone now that I've lost close to 70 pounds and the shape of my body has changed, but I still think it's the best 50 or so bucks I've spent.

7. bigpern23

Great story. Glad to hear he made it.

Care to post a pic of the waves tattoo? I'm having trouble picturing it.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I can't post it on here. I don't have an account on on those Web sites that allow you to do such a thing.

As for doves, I have one tattooed on my chest. Oddly enough, it's also surrounded by flames. But the tattoo itself is a representation of the Holy Spirit; it's one of a number of religious tattoos I got when I was much more religious. It's also the only time I fell asleep while getting a tattoo (got it after a really long day at work).

9. sportschick

Pall, if you want, you can e-mail it to me and I'll post it. I've got all those accounts.

10. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Got mine the old-fashioned way. Drunk 'cause the world scared me.

Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The only one the dude did.

11. sportschick

Pallister's tats.

Arm

[​IMG]

Waves on his wrist

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. pallister

pallister Guest

Those Navy tattoos are great, ink. Makes me wish I joined up.

And Pern, your story about getting tattooed outside the country reminds me of my nephew. When he was stationed in Japan, he went to get a tattoo. He told the artist, an old Japanese man, that he wanted a dragon. The guy sets up and starts the tattoo without a stencil. No drawing, no nothing. My nephew stops him and says, "What are you doing?" Old man says, "I've done this tattoo so many times I could do it with my eyes closed." It turned out to be really nice.

EDIT: Thanks, SC!

Draft saved Draft deleted