1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me why I should continue to follow sports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Oct 7, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Giving up on sports is actually pretty easy.

I was never a hardcore fan of any particular team, but I always enjoyed the games.

That enjoyment goes away on a daily basis. The more you know about the particular players, and by that I mean, the owners, commissioners, athletes, and various hangers on, the easier it is to get so disgusted you don't want to even watch.

The Nation's (I know, I know) sports blogger has a rather excellent piece on how the four lockouts in the last 14 months are no accident.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170585/meet-lockout-lawyers-destroying-sports

It is fine and dandy to think about sports brings people together, but as a wise man once said about newspapers, and to paraphrase, "no matter how much love sports, they'll never love you back."

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This.

Only 2 items I have with names on them. A Pavel Datsyuk jersey, but only because it was the lockout season and Dick's was selling authentic ones for 30 bucks; and a Steve Young 49ers jersey, that is autographed by him and will never be actually worn.

Strike that....3 things: My wife bought me a Gennaro Gattuso A.C. Milan jersey when she was in Italy, but it's a tad too small for me, so it just hangs in the closest as a memento.

Everything else is very generic..in fact, I don't actually own many jerseys...more of a hat guy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I do have a Brook Jacoby jersey. :)

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Let me rephrase. Never buy ACTIVE PLAYER-SPECIFIC gear. Don't buy a William Green jersey during his one good year, because then you're going to be the dolt at the bar in 2012 I mock for owning one. Don't buy a Kevin Garnett Timberwolves jersey because then you look stupid when he's in Boston.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You would suck at being hipster.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think this would be the all-timer:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted