1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me that Calvin Tillie deserves to live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 18, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By COREY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer Tue Dec 18, 7:49 AM ET

DETROIT - As the gunman was about to open fire, 7-year-old Alexis Goggins lunged from the back seat of the SUV and threw herself across her mom, crying, "Don't hurt my mother!" Six bullets from the 9 mm handgun slammed into Alexis, one piercing her right eye. Two slugs hit her mother.

Alexis' mother pulled through. But two weeks later, Alexis lies in critical condition, blind in one eye. And to her classmates and many people in this city so depressingly familiar with violence, the little girl is a hero.

"She was trying to save me," her mother, Seliethia Parker, 30, told The Associated Press on Monday. "My baby is just an angel to her mother. I thought as the mother, I'd be saving my child. I never thought my daughter would be saving me."

Alexis has undergone three operations since the shooting, and her mother sits by her bedside at Children's Hospital of Michigan.

As for the mother, she was seriously wounded, with one slug grazing her head and the other entering her chest and stopping just short of an artery. But she was released from the hospital just a few days later.

Parker's former boyfriend, Calvin Tillie, a 29-year-old ex-convict on parole, was arrested in the shooting and charged with two counts of assault with intent to commit murder, along with other offenses. He could get life in prison.

Alexis is learning-disabled and lags behind other youngsters her age. As a result, police say it may never be known whether Alexis meant to shield her mother from the bullets with her body. But Parker said that if her daughter hadn't put herself in between, "I really don't know. We might have been dead."

Parker said she met Tillie earlier this year and called off the relationship after three months, but he had other ideas. "He was harassing me," she said. "He would constantly call my house, popping up in the middle of the night."

Shortly after midnight on Dec. 2, police say, Alexis and her mother climbed into their friend Aisha Ford's vehicle for a late night birthday get-together for Ford's mother. The girl got into the back seat, and her mother took the front passenger seat.

Tillie, who had been standing outside the house in the shadows despite the cold, jumped into the back of the SUV, next to Alexis, and forced Ford to drive at gunpoint for several harrowing minutes until the woman convinced him she needed to stop for gas, according to an account the women gave police.

Ford told police she tried to stall for time while pumping gas. As she and the station attendant called 911, several shots erupted from inside the vehicle. Police say the girl had jumped toward her mother in the front seat.

Parker bolted from the SUV, screaming. Officers found Alexis curled beneath the steering wheel in a pool of blood. Tillie was arrested at the scene.

His attorney, Kim Basen Michon, asked for a psychological evaluation for Tillie. The lawyer was on vacation and could not be reached for comment Monday.

In addition to losing her right eye, Alexis was shot in the chin and jaw. Several days after the shooting, the little girl, her face horribly swollen and wrapped in bandages, stirred and squeezed her mother's hand.

"She is doing much better," Parker said. "She opened up one eye. Everything seems to be going great."

In Alexis' special education classroom at Campbell Elementary School, her classmates have named a stuffed toy with pink ears "Hero."

"We didn't want Alexis' spot to be vacant, so she's got a sweet bear to sit in her place until she comes back," said her teacher, Angela Lang.

Alexis suffered a stroke before age 1 and has epilepsy. Her teacher showed off a journal revealing strides Alexis had made in writing over the past few months. What started as an illegible series of lines had evolved into distinct letters: A, L and E.

"I know she can do it. There's no stopping Alexis," said her mother's cousin, Tonya Blockett-Colbert. "It may take her a little longer now because of this. But she is a fighter."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did Moses deserve to live after killing an Egyptian?

Did St. Paul deserve to live after persecuting Christians?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This man is neither St. Paul nor Moses....so I fail to see the argument here.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

See death penalty argument on other thread.

I stioll say life without parole is just fine

5. heyabbott

You are a heartless bastard

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess my somewhat-too-subtle point is that it should not be our decision at all.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Because murder is always wrong, whether done by the individual or the state.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pierced you with logic and scripture, eh?

9. heyabbott

Murder is always wrong? I guess it depends on your definition of murder.

If you define it has an intentional homicide done without excuse, justification or mitigation, i would argue that to kill this senseless load of shit, Calvin Tillie, would be done with justification.

10. heyabbott

Scripture? A fairly tale written by the powerful to keep the poor and disenfranchised, poor and disenfranchised.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There is no justification for the state to be in the business of murder.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Well, at least many of those against the death penalty are consistent. They're always willing to call execution murder, but will recoil in horror at the thought of applying the same term to abortion.

Or maybe they're consistently inconsistent.

Draft saved Draft deleted