1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me something that's good about being single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, I do want to look good and live a long time for my wife.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think I'd feel sorry for myself a good bit if I were to be single again.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The best part about being single is that you're not in a relationship that doesn't fit. That's worse than any loneliness or yearning a life of bachelorhood might bring about.

4. jr/shotglass

Well, yeah ... except it's quite possible that one might find a relationship that fits. :)

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Who says eating differently automatically means one's good and the other's bad?

She eats many more "good" things than I do. She also eats more sweets than I do. Should I join her in that package of donuts?

I don't smoke, don't drink and play tennis every day. The Terminator would envy my immune system. She doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and only exercises when I can drag her away from her sewing and onto the tennis court.

So who's "right"? Or more to the point, who cares as long as people are healthy and happy?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I would never date anyone who would think I was good enough to date them.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't follow.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Creosote, this is key. You sound like you're not in favor of ending the relationship, but if one side wants out, there's something unhealthy about it.

Use this time to work on you. You can be selfish. You should be selfish.

Ending a relationship isn't easy, but it can be a relief. There's a lot of pressure & stress in a bad relationship. It will depress you, get you in a rut, and alter your personality.

So, get your groove back. Find your sense of humor. Get the weight off your shoulders.

When you're ready, and when you're feeling confident about yourself, dating will come naturally.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I think a solid combination of married and single is probably best.

10. YankeeFan

Confidence is the key. Women can smell the fear on you, but are attracted to confidence.

This is why you need to use this time to work on yourself before plunging into the dating pool. If you try, before you are ready, you'll fail, and lose confidence.

As for dating advice, I'll take a stab:

-- Talk to people. Don't be weird or annoying, but just talk to people. Don't try to pick up women, just engage them in conversation. If the conversation turns out lively, or funny, Tell them you'd like to continue it at a later date, and ask for the phone number.

-- Flirt a little. With everybody. If you're out of practice, and/or not comfortable doing it, practice. On everyone. Grandmas, cashiers, everyone. You'll get better at it.

-- Ask someone out. Just do it. You don't have to view them as a prospect for marriage. You just need a date, and the experience/practice of asking someone out. So do it. The worst thing that happens is they say no. Second worst is a bad date. So what? You'll get better at it, and you won't miss the opportunity when you do meet someone you're truly interested in. It's just like going on some job interviews to prepare you for the really important one.

-- Don't underestimate yourself. Don't think anyone is "too good" for you. You have nothing to lose. Realizing this is very freeing. It allows you to be funny and confident.

11. YankeeFan

Sounds like you'll be fine then.

I still say practice, though. Whether it's just engaging in conversation or full out flirting. You may have the confidence, but the practice will make the awkwardness go away.

12. jr/shotglass

Married men: Don't take this advice. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted