1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me something that's good about being single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 2, 2011.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not getting 4700 calls from your wife -- either whining about stuff or asking how to do things -- while you're on deadline.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Not having to justify your asinine decisions to someone else (as opposed to rationalizing them away, a skill at which I'm a master.)

"You bought TWO copies of every issue of Ultimate X-Men ever printed? At three in the morning over the internet? With your now maxed out Visa? For the INVESTMENT purposes?"

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Eating fast food/pizza/drinking beer whenever you want without someone (aside from your buddies) giving you shit for putting on weight. :D

4. Lanky

Lanky New Member

I spent the second half of 2010 doing just about everything I could to wreck my marriage. I've spent the first eight months and two days of 2011 trying to unwind the damage.

The few things I miss about being single are insignificant against the many ways my wife makes my life better and more complete -- through her counsel, her support, her giving somewhere to set down my troubles. I wish she didn't call the office at 10 p.m. quite so often, but I'll just have to chalk that up as part of her charm.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The board has always been good for that.

;D

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not having to share the remote. Ever.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

There's a lot of freedom in being single. I can walk to one of the bars near here without having to let anyone know where I am or explain myself if I end up having too much fun. If I want to eat Chex Mix and play my Xbox 360 in my underwear, well so be it (no, that is not what I'm doing now. don't be ridiculous. Chex Mix is gross).

On the other hand, if I dropped dead right now it'd take a few days for anyone to notice.

In sum, six of one, half-dozen of the other.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

has to be the autonomy ... but there is a downside to it. Of all my buddies, we have one guy who isn't married. We all sit around saying, "Ronnie gets to do what he wants. Ronnie gets to come and go as he likes. Ronnie gets to do this and that." But at the end of the night, we all go home smiling to our wives and families and Ronnie goes home to a dark, empty house. Ronnie is a lonely mofo.

I have these day dreams about being single - "Yeah, I'm free. I'm get on my Harley, get a case of whiskey, drive down to Texas ... blah, blah, blah." Then I remember that from time to time I get a chance to take bike trips by myself because my wife is working or whatever. About the first time I stop to eat BY MYSELF it dawns on me that I miss having her along.

(shhhhhh don't ever tell her I said that ;))

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

REMOTE CONTROL! REMEMBER THE REMOTE CONTROL!

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You'd think it's a consideration, but it's not in my TV room, anyway. If I want to see something bad enough, she'll go down to the living room. And if she wants to see something bad enough, fuck me. :)

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's nothing that's good about being single ... if you're in (or you've been in) a good relationship. If you're not in (or you haven't) been in such, there's nothing bad about it.

Hitting my 20-year anniversary in a few weeks. On the worst days, wouldn't go back to being single for all the tea in China.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Holidays where you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted