1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me something that's good about being single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How 'bout a big-shot media dude?

KIDDING, because I am not that. Nor am I single. Haven't really been single my entire adult life as I got married the day after I graduated from college. So I don't even know how the game is played anymore. I got no game, got no rap. "Yo, wanna go get buzzed?" probably wouldn't work as well as it did when I was in college (in the pre-Queen days, of course).

The fact that I'm a "sw-wave and de-boner" dude might help me some, but who knows? Not thinking at this point I'll ever have to find out. I do look simply fine in a tux.

We're a two-city marriage for a while. She's coming here this weekend, so I spent last night sweeping up and taking care of some things. Is the stuff she likes in the fridge? Where's HER soap, she doesn't like mine? Do I really need to change the sheets, we've been married 33 years?

Marriage is an odd game. Singledom is an odd game. Life is an odd game. My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus. Plus, I have to go to work. I think I need a drink.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There are LOTS of women around DC. Lots of attractive ones, too. The high, of sorts, you get from meeting a new one is great. Even if nothing comes of it, the newness of it is exciting.

In the meantime you're watching sports or whatever the hell else you want. You can have too much to drink somewhere if you want. You can have one more round while you wait for the game to end.

Being able to up and do whatever you want is underrated. There are lots of good things about being single.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That kinda morning really was that kinda night, huh Moddy?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Strasburg returns Tuesday. All is well. All is well.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I did not get married until my mid 30's so lived the single life well past university. I would not trade my family for anything but there are things that I do miss about the single life most of which have already been mentioned, especially the complete lack of "checking in" when making plans.

I never found dating that frustrating as I found it to be a bit of an adventure. I do miss the thrill of new women.

Sorry that I did not answer the question of single life but I guess that I am not so far removed from it still feels like I was recently single even though it's been almost 10 years.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was single until 43 years of age and sometimes I miss it very much. Don't get me wrong, life with JR has much to recommend it but I miss having complete autonomy.
    - you can buy whatever the hell you want
    - you can decorate however the hell you want
    - you can eat whenever the hell you want
    - you can eat whatever the hell you want
    - you can go where you want, when you want
    - as previously mentioned, no checking in with your SO

I wish you all the best, Mr. C. And I hope JR doesn't give me the silent treatment all weekend. :D

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

when we were single, a very good friend of mine -- like me, also very happily married for more than 20 years -- agreed on this when we were single: there's nothing quite like the excitement, the sense of accomplishment, the ego-fulfillment -- of wooing a woman and then sleeping with her for the first time. even though the first time you have sex with a person can be hit-or-miss in terms of quality, the excitement of that first time with a person makes up for whatever it might lack in quality.

and to expand on the theory a bit, but anticipation of every phone call in the early stages of a relationship is a terrific sensation. i think young singles today, including teens have been largely robbed of much of that by social networking, where communicating in a non-vocal, direct way can go by the wayside.

it also sucks that with EVERYONE having a cell phone kids never have to have the awkward but maturing experience of calling a girl (or boy) at their home on the universal FAMILY phone, have the mom or dad answer, and then have to ask, 'um, hello, mrs. cleaver this is shockey, may i speak to your daughter (as i continue in my awkward quest to ravage her and rob her of her virginity?)'

an example: eldest shockey heir and his gf have been 'together' for two years now. not once has she called here and had to talk to mrs. shockey or i first. and neither has shockey heir ever had to go through her mom/dad before speaking to the gf.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

On the occasions I think about this, I imagine, first of all, being able to call my own shots. Go out for a beer after work. Go to a particular baseball game on a Wednesday night off if I feel like it. And it all being my decision.

And it takes about 20 seconds for me to realize that I'd tire of that in about two weeks, and I like doing stuff with my wife better than I like doing stuff without her.

I'm also a big advocate of having someone nearby who can always call you on your bullshit.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll call you on shit. Virtually.

As for the exes, depends. First date? Bad idea. When things are serious and committed and you want her to know why you are how you are and what you've been through? I think that's only common sense.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good points here, shockey.

Although, I'm sure young men still get the "enjoyment" of meeting gf's dad as they go to pick her up. Or worse yet, bring her home late!

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I made sure that happened. That's not to say it ever went over well. ;)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Odd timing for this thread. My girlfriend and I moved in together two weeks ago, but given that she was away for 10 days (2 days after the move), we are just getting into our "together" routine. This is the second time I have lived with a woman. I doubt I will ever get married. We do plan to be together for a very long time, though. Before this, we spent a few years spending a lot of time at each other's apartments. But I always had at least a few nights a week that I was on my own. Commitments have always petrified me. This was a big step for both of us. I am still a bit scared. But I wouldn't trade her in for being single.

Draft saved Draft deleted