1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me I didn't just see what I just saw (Price is Right edition)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery Meat II, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Home sick today so I'm keeping up with my boyhood illness tradition of watching Price is Right. Such a naughty pleasure when you're supposed to be doing something else.

Anyhow, it's been a bit since I've seen TPiR, and I'm watching the showcase showdown, and it's bad enough that they took out the lightbulb scoreboards for the bids and replaced them with monitors. But the second showcase, rather than a cheesy pretext for a flotilla of overpriced furniture and a trip to some 60's getaway like Acapulco that ends up costing you more in taxes than it's worth, opens with fucking LONESTAR singing a song off their new album. They play the chorus from "Party Heard Round The World", then the lead singer uses that as the transition to the showcase.

I guess things have to evolve. This seems somehow wrong though.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GET OFF MY MOUNTAIN LAWN!

I tried to watch the Drew Carey Price Is Right once. It was awful. Never again.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hasn't been the same since they broke up that Murderer's Row of Barker's Beauties, Janice, Dian and Holly.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I tried watching the Drew Carey version, too. Didn't like it. He just doesn't seem that enthusiastic, and I got tired of seeing everyone wearing "Pick Me!" T-shirts.

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Of the three, Holly was my favorite ... by far. If I knew how to post a photo, I would.

6. Mystery Meat II

AND As The World Turns just signed off for good. Truly a sad day, this is.

7. Mystery Meat II

Aw, c'mon CBS, can't you let them have one full set of final credits without compressing them so you can do hype for next week's Young and the Restless, which I'm guessing will see a similar fate in a couple of years? It was only on your network for 53 years, let it go out with some dignity.

I don't know shit about this show, but I know the passing of history when I see it.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When my kids are home sick from school, I'll watch TPIR with them.

The show's definitely gotten more show-biz since Drew took over, although a few of his wisecracks are funny. Plus, there's still hot college chicks (and, for the ladies, studly dudes) as contestants.

And the models are still attractive, but there's less sporting of bikinis as they give away hot tubs, or negligees as they give away a bedroom set, than there was during the Bob Barker heyday.

But yeah, Mystery Meat, it's lame that they cross-promote a band's concert tour or other CBS programming during the Showcase segments. I recall seeing Jim Nantz cheesing it up during a showcase as they gave away some Final Four tickets and other (very loosely) related stuff last spring.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bikinis were pretty much phased out in the mid-90s when FremantleMedia took over from Goodson-Todman.

Don't ask me why I know this.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dian could fill a bikini.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Thanks!

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I wonder if Elias or anyone else figured out Barker's career putting stats from the golf game.

Draft saved Draft deleted