1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why we should believe Al Gore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 12, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Exactly. But what gives me pause is the idea that we did no more than simply accelerate the cycle.

Because then there really would be little we could do about it. It's far more comforting to think that humanity caused the bulk of it, since that would mean that changing our ways could change the planet';s course of deterioration.

2. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Burn the rainforests, pave the wetlands, drill every drop of oil out of the fucking ground, barbecue all the whales and baby seals, and tonight we're gonna party like it's 1899. ;D

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I guess that settles it. I didn't realize it was "every serious" and "fact". Nope, no room for debate, then. It couldn't possibly be that the sun is burning hotter. It couldn't possibly be that more sun is getting through because the air is actually cleaner than it was in the 70s. Nope, it's man-made, definitely, even though there were also warming periods before man existed. Yup, it's definitely man's fault. Even worse, it's only American man's fault.
    Tony, could you fly up and personally check the sun's temperature for us? Thanks.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Factor Gore out of this. Said it here, years ago, and will say it again . . . GW is real, tangible, and accellerating. And the
    paid-for, job-dependant and/or ignorant are only getting more and more hysterical as they dive more deeply into denial.

Kyoto's not the answer. No way the US should be paying the bulk of the bill, while China and India skip off virtually scot-free.
    But we ALL better get with it, or 2100 will be hellish.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, I'll tell you what "every serious scientist" accepts as "fact": That the earth has warmed and cooled in cycles dating back to well before man existed. And you know what? Every time it cooled or warmed, it didn't lead to the end of the earth.

When, in 10-20 years, the current warming cycle ends and a cooling cycle begiins (just like in the 1890s, the 1940s and the 1970s), I sure hope all of the members of the "global warming" religion are still around to be laughed at.

In the meantime, ponder this: If global warming did exist, why would it be bad? After all, "every serious scientist" knows that a lot more people move from the North to the South in search of warmer weather than move from South to North in search of a colder climate.

You are now free to pile on with more insults because you have no real facts right ........... NOW!

Or maybe we can get onto discussing a truly serious issue such as the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

More sun is getting through?

What the hell are they teaching in science classes today?

The greenhouse effect is not about sunlight "getting through" or not getting through. It's about HEAT BECOMING TRAPPED ONCE IT DOES GET THROUGH.

Yes, the air over Pittsburgh is cleaner than it was in the 70s.

But the air over Earth is not.

And it's not just a matter of "clean" vs. "dirty." It's a weakening ozone layer and what effects that has on ultraviolet rays "getting through" as you like to say.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And the greenhouse effect, if I remember correctly, is caused by CO2, correct? Well, since human beings breathe in oxygen and expel CO2 -- and the earth is more populated than ever, I guess the solution is just kill all humans. Liebrals have already been working on that solution with abortion and euthenasia. Here's another way they could help: A mass suicide at DNC headquarters. There's the solution. Get started.

8. Holy mother of God ... Please welcome our newest member, Ann Coulter. Fetch me an adam's apple.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

"A zebra does not change its spots." -- Al Gore, 1992.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" -- Al Gore, in CNN interview, 1999.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. It's caused by a lot more than CO2. You can add methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), halogenated fluorocarbons (HCFCs) , ozone (O3), perfluorinated carbons (PFCs), and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) to that list . . . none of which are exhaled by humans.

2. Plants take in CO2. So no, we don't need to "kill all humans." Just don't kill all trees.

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Shit, missed one.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm not really involved in this, but I just wanted to make sure no one skipped over this little gem.

Draft saved Draft deleted