1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why we should believe Al Gore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 12, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm tired of reading the vitriol, so I don't want to read any further than this. But if you're driving 2 1/2 hours each way to work, you must really hate the planet. Of course, it also means you probably shouldn't be casting stones at Al Gore. Or anyone else for that matter.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just 10 years ago, Gore told the Democratic National Convention that after his sister Nancy's needless death in 1984 from lung cancer, he committed himself "heart and soul into the cause of protecting our children from the dangers of smoking." In his new film, Gore again dredges up his sister's death and how it led his once tobacco-growing family to turn away from tobacco.

After the DNC speech, reporters with memories intervened. America learned that contrary to his rhetoric, in 1988 Gore campaigned as a tobacco farmer who told his brethren that "all of my life," I hoed it, chopped it, shredded it, "put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it." The year his sister died, Gore helped the industry by fighting efforts to put the words "death" and "addiction" on cigarette-warning labels

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is what the experts say at National Geographic have to say:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/060531-hurricanes_2.html

the 2006 hurricane season follows predictions, it will continue a trend of stormy summers that started in 1995.
    Meteorologists think hurricane seasons follow cycles of alternating active and less active seasons. The cycles can last as long as 40 years and are thought to be caused by fluctuations in the surface temperatures of oceans.

"If the atmosphere and the ocean behave as they have in the past, we should have a very active season, but that doesn't necessarily translate into storms that produce as much destruction as last year," Gray said.
    If the 2006 hurricane season is active, it will doubtless continue to fuel the debate among some meteorologists about whether global warming is affecting hurricanes.

Some researchers say the Earth's temperature is increasing, which is causing more intense hurricanes to form.

But Gray, who has been making long-range forecasts for more than 20 years, does not think this is having any measurable effect on hurricane formation.

"Nature is causing these things," Gray said. "It's not human-induced global warming."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Uh, Boom, most scientists believe global warming has little to do with the FORMATION of hurricanes and everything to do with HOW STRONG THEY GET.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, I'm back and I have the perfect solution to the Global Warming debate both for persons on the right and persons on the left.

The solution is this: Have the UN put forth a resolution on Global Warming.

How is that a solution?

Well, when the UN puts forth a resolution, they never enforce it.

How is that a solution?

Well, like the many resolutions the UN put out on Iraq, the left thinks the UN resoltions are enough and the left prefers they not be enforced (see the US finally enforcing them by removing Saddam and the left going appoplectic).

And if they're not enforced, that will be just fine with the folks on the right who know Global Warming is actually bullshit.

There. Problem solved.

6. The line at the Brain Store was too long so you decided to go back later?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

ot, what about us centrist Libertarians? How do you propose solving the problem of global warming for us?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm far from the kind of guy who thinks global warming is a bunch of BS. But earlier this year I spoke with someone at the National Hurricane Center about the hurricane season for this year and he specifically asked me to ask him about global warming's effect on storms. According to this guy, who is heavily involved with predictions and studying winds and water temperatures and everything, he said any impact global warming would have on even the strength of storms is so minute that it's not even noticable.

And while you can talk about all the storms we saw last year, wasn't the most recent storm, Charley or whatever the storm that came with the letter C was called, brewing during the most recent heat wave that enveloped half the country? You would think as it moved across the Atlantica and the Caribbean, it would gather immense strength and pummel the gulf coast at that time. Instead, it petered out and was a bunch of rain with no real damage.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are those the same folks who believe the earth was created 5,000 years ago? Those ones?

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess it's not a lie if you believe it?

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And just like all the folks on the right who used to cite carefully-selected academia as proof that nicotine isn't addictive and cigarette smoke doesn't cause cancer? Yeah, what bullshit that was.

Enjoy it while it lasts, righties, because this "debate" over global warming is going to go the way of the "debate" over the effects of tobacco that wasted everyone's time and insulted everyone's intelligence in the 1980s and '90s.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fortunately, upper-level wind shear has been very strong this summer. And this wind shear has been dismantling the storm systems very effectively.

But we're still a few weeks away from the peak period of the season . . . and we're more than two months away from the anniversary of Wilma.

I'll hold off celebrating until at least Halloween.

Draft saved Draft deleted