1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why we should believe Al Gore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 12, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Damn straight, young American!

And maybe we can quiz him on the whereabouts and whatabouts of the long-gone mlb_2005.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Did old tony fall off a building or something? ??? :D

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He doesn't post while Rush or O'Reilly are on the radio.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Good point. Or he could be on the shitter, reading the latest by Ann Coulter.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

.. . while most of us in similar circumstances would be reducing the Coulter tome, page by page . . .

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wow, you guys really missed me. I feel so loved.

Anyone drive a car today? I sure did. 2 1/2 hours one way to work and shortly 2 1/2 hours back home. But then I'm not the one saying we all have to stop driving.

I'll be back again in a few hours. That gives you guys some time to brainstorm one thoughtful post instead of things like "every serious scientist ... " kind of stuff.

Oh, and dog428, that would only be 292 years of data since the first mercury thermometer in 1714. How you get 1306 years of evidence since then might be a good explanation of how you comprehend anyway. Either that, or it's the year 3010, and I'm damn sure that isn't the case.

Cheers and y'all have a good un.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two and a half hour commute!?! With gas at $3 per gallon, no wonder you're so cranky.

And nowhere in this thread did I see anybody say we all have to stop driving.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Trust me, IW, I'm anything but cranky. Actually, I'm enjoying the back and forth and the banter. I don't dislike any of you, but I've done a lot of reading on global warming and I find a great deal of it to be political-agenda BS. With Kyoto, why would the countries that pollute the most like India and China have been exempt? A friend of mine from a political forum is a scientist himself and takes apart a lot fo the BS over global warming at that forum. I haven't felt the need to drag him over here into this and I don't figure he'd want to anyway. But trust me, he's got the credentials. It's amusing to see how upset someone can get when I posit an alternate theory such as the sun burning hotter at different times in history. Ever hear of sun storms? Sun spots? They've been happening throughout history. But to suggest it and see so many folks go ballistic is truly amusing. Funny how folks react when you challenge their religion -- and trust me, global warming is a religion for many, many folks on the left.

So, I'm hardly cranky. Besides, the commute gives me time away from the bosses and time to listen to Rush and Hannity (not O'Reilly). And if it's late enough, then I can listen to Mark Levin.

As for stopping driving, Al Gore wants us to cut way back and completely change our lifestyles. Of course, he doesn't do it himself, which is why Lou started this fun thread.

Enjoy.

9. Bring him over, with full disclosure on his funding, and then we can talk.

10. Trucha

Trucha Member

Serious question: What would it take to convince you that something's awry? The fact that nearly all scientists who aren't paid by extractive industries believes so isn't enough. The fact that most farmers and ranchers who are witnessing dramatic changes to growing seasons believe it's so isn't enough. The fact that native Alaskans -- whose ancestry dates thousands of years -- are seeing animals they don't have names for isn't enough. Even Pat Robertson believing it isn't enough. Truth is, it could be 130 degrees at Prudhoe Bay and you'd still be guzzling the Republican talking points Kool-Aid.

And by the way: Yeah, the warming of ocean temperatures is altering the jet stream to the point where warm air that normally hits Scotland, allowing palm trees to grow there, very likely will move south and make Scotland more like Iceland.

Are you a parent? If you thought there was a chance your kid was sick and you suspected a possible culprit, would you continue to ignore the possible culprit until you had absolute, irrefutable proof that it was the cause? Hell no. So I don't understand why people like yourself don't have the same attitude on the very sphere that gives us and sustains life.

End of rant.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't read the thread.

But I do know that Bush Administration staff members deliberately altered scientific reports that were designed to help form environmental policy.

But, um, Al Gore drives a big car.

Why is it that people continue to support conservative policies that defy all logic?

And why is it that Al Gore — and not the plight of the planet — has become the issue?

Who the fuck cares what Al Gore does. If there is truth in his message that my house is going to be swallowed by the sea, shouldn't we focus on that?

And what's wrong with siding with caution? I mean, if two scientists walked onto an airplane and one told you that there was a 75 percent chance that your flight was going to end in a fiery crash and the other guy said that it wouldn't happen...wouldn't you want to dig for a little more information?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think old_tony rivals pickle_juice in terms of quality posts.
    After reading his 56 nuggets of genius, I have abandoned my old ways and siding with him. Screw that global warming. My scientist brother with his multiple doctorates and an internationally respected expert in weather can go F himself.
    What the hell does he know anyway?
    He's like pushing 50. He's an old man. Getting all crotchety and shit when he points out how forest fires around the globe have gone up. Dry climates are getting hotter and more parched, as that happens, a greater chance for a catastrophic fire hitting the Earth. But that ain't got nothing to do with no global warming. I mean c'mon.
    Just 'cause it is getting hotter, doesn't mean that it is global warming.
    He also knows about those wacky sun spots and what not. Says something all scientific about the corona and how the Earth's magnetic field goes awry during solar activity, but those kinds of events don't effect long-term change. Instead they create momentary events when viewed against the geological timeline.
    He's just a dumbass anyway. Got a master's in german, just to read the scientific reports.
    What a loser. So I'm with you old_tony, bring me a glass of your finest kool-aid and I'll shoot it.

Draft saved Draft deleted