1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why the NHL needs to stay in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 3, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has ever said that there aren't American markets where the league can thrive. That would be pretty idiotic,

On the other hand, anyone who doesn't recognize that SW Ontario could easily support one, maybe two teams doesn't get it

The biggest hurdle is MLSE and of course,the present commish

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

MLSE doesn't have to be an obstacle as far as territorial rights are concerned. K-W is outside both Toronto and Buffalo's limits. Yeah, Hamilton has a rink where a team could play right away, but the smart money would see a team in Waterloo Region.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Because you're so cute when you're mad.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'd hate to see the league leave Nashville, mainly because it's one of the best road stops in the NHL. What a fantastic and fun city. Predators players love it there, because it's a good place for both the single guys and those with families.

Did an in-depth piece on the team a couple of years ago, and it's clear that while the general fan supports the team, the companies do not (as someone mentioned earlier). That's why the upper level is always full, but the lower level isn't. GM David Poile was very honest about them, saying they knew they needed to have playoff success to really solidify the future of the franchise. Unfortunately, this was 2006-07, when they lost in the first-round to San Jose. That was the best team Nashville had, but it was a brutal first-round matchup.

Off the record, NHL executives worry that this city can't handle two pro teams, which is why the aforementioned Titans arrival was such a disaster for the Predators. Bettman's absolute refusal to admit a mistake is why he made another one in accepting DelBaggio with a Palin-esque background check. (Whispers around the league say Boots was vouched for by Luc Robitaille, Pat Brisson and Mario Lemieux, but the boss takes the blame.)

As for Balsillie, I was on a flight last year with a highly ranked Canadian team official, who told me he was dead-set against bringing him in, because of the way Balsillie handled the Hamilton ticket thing. "We have no room for renegades here!" And, the Leafs are not as much of a factor as the Sabres. Owner Tom Golisano admitted in an interview last year that he was against Hamilton. To be perfectly honest, if it was just Toronto, I think the NHL would screw them. But Golisano is a Bettman hard-liner, and Bettman tends to be loyal to those guys (see Leipold, Craig).

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You got that right. It's always the same thing with JR. He thinks he knows way more than he actually does.

Now that Elliotte has said he likes Nashville and hopes it doesn't leave, maybe JR will look for another team to try to get to move to Canada since JR adores Mr. Friedman and wants to have his children.

(This is no slam at Elliotte, who is a great member of this board. Just a comment on JR, who sucks off anyone Canadian).

{Read this post fast before the moderators delete it}

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty sound analysis of the situation and spot-on description of Nashville...

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Bring back the Whale! :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

YEAH!!!!!!

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stick your adolescent comments in your ear. What are you, 12 years old?

Elliotte may be right about Nashville being a great NHL road trip destination but that isn't the issue. It's a business one. Try and keep up.

Nashville's woes have been exacerbated by the latest revelation about their defaulting on their loan and Boot's involvement with the franchise. All this could have been avoided if the league had done their due diligence. But it's the NHL. Grab the imaginary money and run.

According to reports I've read, MLSE was dead set against the Preds moving anywhere to SW Ontario, territorial rights be damned. In the NHL universe, the Sabres are a lightweight and if the league had wanted the team to move to K-W and MLSE gave it their blessing, they'd be there.

You cannot make a business case for having a team in Nashville over SW Ontario. None. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Mario swore by Howard Baldwin, too.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Great. Thread over.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Islanders playing at The Lighthouse? Good God ... that's almost as bad as having the Gorton's fisherman as your logo.

Draft saved Draft deleted