1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why the NHL needs to stay in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is the oldest and I believe Mr. Friend O' mentioned once it was the second-oldest rink still going that had hosted an NHL game (some rink in Boston is the winner there).

Second-oldest barn in the O: the Jack Gatecliff Arena, home to the Niagara IceDogs, which opened in 1938. The Barn in Windsor opened in 1924. Craziest fans and worst bathrooms in the O, by far.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Matthews Arena, aka Boston Arena, at Northeastern University. Built in 1910 or thereabouts. I believe it may actually be the oldest arena in the world, independent of any NHL connection.

What is it about Boston where they actually preserve a lot of their athletic facilities rather than run back to the taxpayers for NEWER, MORE, BIGGER every 20-30 years or so?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Windsor is a wonderful old barn... played a few games there growing up and was a wonderful rink...

4. Mizzou: You were told wrong. You couldn't get a ticket to the Panthers during the 1996 playoffs and they sold out all but a handful of games in the following two seasons until moving to the suburbs of Broward County. Of course, Miami Arena only held 15,000 -- hence why greedy Wayne Huizenga built a 20,000 seat arena on the fringe of the Everglades. Now when they draw 15K, the place looks empty.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

For the love of God, please move the entire fucking league north of the border and do it today.

Thank you.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lot's of good places in the States, Nashville's just not one of them.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

True in the case of Fenway, but old management wanted to dump that place in the worst way.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Interesting that you mention Wang. The Islanders' games this year will be broadcast by an FM station that has a frequency slightly better than the fillings in your teeth:

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-spmedia035868131oct03,0,1382098.column?page=2&track=rss

And he's staking the future of the franchise on this long-shot proposition that is long on glitz and short on details:

http://www.lighthouseli.com/

good luck getting that, Chuck.

9. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

It used to be really easy to get walk-up Thrashers tickets, and good seats. But last season was a lot tougher; had to get scalps twice because the walk-ups were sold out (after that, I bought online ahead of time). I assume they sold more season tickets due to the playoff appearance, because the team was really terrible last season. I know this year they're offering half-price tickets to military personnel, college students, and probably any other demographic they can think of.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Of course there are. The issue is that every time a US team has more than three unsold tickets, there's another one of these threads -- started and stoked by the same person -- insisting that the NHL move struggling franchises to Canada.

It went beyond tiresome somewhere around 2006.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not quite as tiresome as your predictable responses. Why do you even bother?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

There are lots of places in the U.S. where the NHL belongs and has done quite well. Even the most fervent Canadian nationalist would acknowledge that. Dallas has been a great success, much as it sucked to see the North Stars go south. Even losing Quebec is tempered somewhat by how well fans in Denver have supported the Avalanche.

Draft saved Draft deleted