1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why the NHL needs to stay in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 3, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Nashville attendance figures should be taken with a grain of salt. They were effectively papering the house on most nights.

Liked the James Deacon article you posted, Dixie. I wondered what happened to him. He used to be the hockey writer for Maclean's magazine (Canada's Time/Newsweek)

Leafs fans would like nothing more than a guy like Basillie with deep pockets to buy all the Ontario Teacher's Pension Funds shares for MLSE. Offer them $1.3 billion and send them away.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bring back the old Nashville Dixie Flyers!!

All those old EHL teams had great fan bases...the Charlotte Checkers, Long Island Ducks, Clinton Comets, New Haven Blades, Johnstown Jets (aka Charlestown Chiefs).

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Southern Ontario still deserves a second NHL team, regardless of who own da Leafs.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Attendance figures? Please, you believe these. Also compare what it cost to get into games in these markets, they practically are giving tickets away.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Tiverton Tigers?

Chatsworth Cheetas?

Wiarton Willies?

Mount Forest Mounties?

Meaford Magicians?

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's possible, but Balsillie made sure we'll never know.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Leamington Maters

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's some southern Ontario NHL trivia - both Detroit and Chicago played home games in this province during the 1920s. Detroit played its entire first season (1926-27) in Windsor, in an arena that is still open and operational. Chicago played a few games in Fort Erie in 1929.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That Windsor Arena has been home to the Windsor Spitfires who will be moving to their brand new digs in December.

I think it's the oldest rink in the CHL but Huggy would know.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oldest in the OHL by far.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That was before my time, but I got hooked on the ECHL thanks to a youth group trip to see the Nashville Knights. The following season, I was in college and part of a rotating group of two dozen or so who regularly made Friday night pilgramages up to Birmingham to see the second incarnation of the Bulls, who for a while drew some kickass crowds to the BJCC.

Draft saved Draft deleted