1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again why the NHL needs to stay in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 3, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Del Biaggio clusterfuck just got worse. The Preds just defaulted on a $40 million loan.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081003.wspt_balsillie03/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

And guess who's lurking in the shadows. Mr. BlackBerry.

The Predators are one of at least four NHL teams known to be struggling financially — the others most frequently mentioned are the Florida Panthers, Atlanta Thrashers and Phoenix Coyotes — and with financial storm clouds brewing in the U.S., some in the league have revisited their opinion of Balsillie.

"He's admired for his business skill and he's admired for his love of the game. He's wealthy and he wants to own a team desperately," one NHL team official said. "These days, I believe the owners would look more favourably on him."

Funny how none of the Canadian teams are struggling. Quelle surprise.

Oh, and Stephen Brunt puts the boots to The Weasel. You know, the baldfaced lies/blatant ignorance regarding the Nashville situation

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081003.w-brunt03/GSStory/GlobeSports/home

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

JR won't rest until he can see these guys again ...

[​IMG]

:D

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This could work out well for Balsillie, he could get them at a fraction of what he was originally offering.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Did the series ever make its way onto DVD?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thanks for the update, JR Quixote

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

[​IMG]
    This goofy fucking idiot.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It should. Great, great show.

Starring the then-unknown Mr. Tori Spelling as Steelheads captain Mark "Simpsy" Simpson.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great post, but seriously, who's the last business leader you've heard of who got fired for mismanagement? At least, fired without an iron-clad multi-million-dollar severance package. It doesn't happen in government, in journalism, in public works, and it certainly doesn't happen in sports when your job title ranks above that of "general manager," "coach" or "scout."

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Look at recent history. Ziegler, Stein and Bettman. Whenever a city (Nashville, Florida and Atlanta immediately come to mind) offers a proposal, the league jumps at it. It doesn't seem like the Board of Governors do any sort of due diligence, other than to make sure that the check clears.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, I know, no argument here. I'll even throw in Charles (in Charge of my) Wang. I'm just saying, no one ever has to pay the piper for mistakes like that. Other than fans, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted