1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me again ... why do newspapers need paper, exactly?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Mediator

Mediator Member

Why do you need a Kindle if you have a computer? I can get the Times on my laptop already...

2. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

I'm 41 and I don't want a Kindle. I'm as old-school as you can be for someone my age, but I think there's certain things which people my generation and the ones before me still value in a newspaper.
    For example, if your kid, grandkid, niece, nephew, whatever, makes the honor roll, hits three homers in a Little League game, gets engaged or married, gets a promotion, anything like that, a newspaper clipping is a nice thing to have for a scrapbook or the fridge. Going to the Web site and printing it out just isn't the same.
    I completely get the point about saving millions of dollars on newsprint and other costs, but count me as one of the relics of a bygone era who hopes print editions last a little while longer, at least at weeklies and small-town dailies. They might not survive another 26 years till I retire, but another 5-10 years would be nice.
    Now, release the hounds....

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't have a Kindle, but I know someone who took a long vacation and while he was driving, his wife could just whip out the small Kindle and start reading a book, paper, etc. No need to open up a clunky laptop, which might be hard to read anyway in a car. Just hold the Kindle right up to your face, I guess. And there's more of these devices on the way. I don't know if this is the future or not, but the future is not what 50+-year old people want. Hell, probably not even 40+-years old.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many of your kids lug home 25-pound backpacks?

Imagine them lugging home this.

And if you think we are all going to be using clunky laptops in 10 years, well I am going to think differently.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Point taken about the kindle being more portable, but I can also read the Times on my iPhone. Why would I play $500 for a third device with such a specific purpose?

6. Jeff Wallner

Jeff Wallner Member

I don't believe the print version of newspapers will ever completely vanish, no more than I believe books or magazines will one day be exclusively digital.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do they break easily? Are they really as portable as a small paperback? Nice to be able to "carry" many books at once, but what if you misplace it while on vacation?

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Another thing to consider is that a newspaper gets delivered to a house and then different people can read different sections all at the same time. Not so if the family has one Kindle.

A good thought, though.

9. 93Devil

BB, you are assuming that a home will only have one Kindle.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

And you're assuming more than one person in the house reads a newspaper anymore.

11. dprince57

dprince57 Member

I have a kindle and get the Times on it. I'm a big fan.

12. 93Devil

In 10 years we will have a single device that we surf and net on, send messages, listen to music, take pictures, record videos, play games, read books, read newspapers and watch TV on the road on.

This device will be bigger than a Blackberry but smaller than a laptop.

Students carrying backpacks to school will look as out of place as desks with ink wells in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted