1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me about St. Augustine, Florida...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I wanted to find a private, extremely affordable, top-notch (26% of applicants accepted) school in warm weather, close to the shore, with a strong communications program. Plus, the school is absolutely stunning visually (and is a National Historic Landmark) and has a perfect size (about 2,000 students, 20-to-1 student/faculty ratio). Nice radio station, spanking new television studio, solid paper, tons to do around campus and off of it. I've met a few friends online through the website and Facebook groups already. Seemed like an ideal fit and most college databases like the Princeton Review even called it a Reach, especially for someone who slacked through high school, finishing with a 2.0.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I wish. I'll be paying these student loans off until I'm 70. Then again, Flagler cracks the Best Value lists annually and offers great finanical aid to students, so maybe I'll be off the hook at 50 or 60.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Honesty: always the best policy. ;D

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Wife and I stayed close to the shore line .. not a good idea. If you make it to the old town area, you'll have a great time.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, it's funny. I never managed to have to pay for alcohol ... until I turned 21. I had a fine taste for liquor before that, and always hated beer. But then I turned 21, and suddenly became one of the people who had to buy the alcohol for my friends who couldn't. That's when I realized how expensive liquor was. I developed a taste for beer out of necessity -- I couldn't afford anything else. And even now, when I can afford better, I still drink beer more than I drink liquor.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You'd be amazed how many schools look "absolutely stunning visually" when you look at their brochures and online photos, carefully chosen to put forth the best possible image.

And all I know is that they're looking for a sports journalist at the paper.

Good luck to you. Gotta admit, when you first posted that you were gonna move to Florida sight unseen and then figure stuff out, the potential for spectacular disaster was there. Seems you're doing OK so far.

(If I have the wrong young, starry-eyed poster, my apologies).

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Flagler is a solid school. Good choice.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And a damn fine criteria that is.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Flagler is a solid school, and St. Augustine is one of my favorite little towns.

You're about 30-40 minutes from downtown Jacksonville, and a little less than two hours from Orlando. Gainesville looks a lot closer on a map than it actually is (you'll be driving through the swamp to get to The Swamp.)

What St. Augustine isn't is a college town. You'll be the minority among tourists (mostly day-trippers) and locals.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Flagler truly is "absolutely stunning visually," though. It will blow you away. Spent a couple days in St. Augustine a while back and had a great time. Beautiful, old town.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The move to Florida has actually gone really well. I work with an independent contractor anywhere from Miami to West Palm Beach and make good money. It's hard work and ten-hour days, but in a sense it's been rewarding thus far and I enjoy doing things like drywalling and painting.

Some pictures I could find on photobucket...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. A Patriots fan and a Gators fan?

Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted