1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me about Albuquerque

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm also not a "cyclist," per se, although I do own a bike and ride around town with my kids, etc., and I enjoy the occasional ride on a nice flat, paved trail.

Many years ago, my wife and I were in Maui and we went down Mount Haleakala. It was billed as just a fun downhill ride. The problem was we were riding down the same road that cars were using. It was a bunch of sharp switch backs, so you'd be going pretty fast down a straightaway, and then just as you are hitting the breaks to avoid going off the mountain, some bus is coming up at you from the other lane. Sure, it's the other lane, so he's not going to hit you, but it scares the crap out of you.

So I don't want to do that again.

But if it's not as steep and I'm not sharing the road with cars, it could be cool.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

State's the anthrax capitol of the US.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Excepts in this case it's pretty steep, definitely twisty and windy, and you would be sharing the road with motor vehicles. And last time I was up there some turns didn't even have guard rails.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Just seeing this, would have recommended the tram and Gruet Steakhouse although I see on Yelp that it's closed now. Which is a shame. That was a great restaurant. The Gruet sparkling wine is very good. I think you can go to the winery and do tastings.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn there.

[​IMG]

(I know Sam did the joke first. And no, not Yosemite Sam. ;))

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

If you're planning to do an activity like bike riding or your regular morning run, don't forget that elevation is a major factor. New Mexico is an altitude endurance training destination for some pretty serious athletes, so it can kick an amateur's ass fast.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

On my way home now. Great trip. Will post some info later.

Altitude is only 5000 in the city, by the way. Up to 7k out of town by the sandia peak tram.

Draft saved Draft deleted