1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell a story about being poor in college

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tell that to Auburn's student-athletes.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yes, my sophomore year of college, I was rear-ended by a rich college girl. She pleaded with me that she would pay out-of-pocket. I did 3 estimates and sent her the middle one. $1,100.

She bitched and moaned and wrote a check. Four months of rent was taken care of.

To be fair, when I finally sold that car, I got about $1,000 less for it than I would've had the car been fixed.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was actually best with my money my first two years in college.

My freshman year I got frequently made fun of for being a cheapskate. My sophomore year, I had my first credit card but I was *extremely* careful with it and I always paid my bill on time every month.

It all went downhill from there. When I was 20, I remember going out with a classmate and her boyfriend and we all stopped at McDonalds. I didn't eat anything because I didn't have the money to buy anything.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I wish this was a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Story would have ended much differently.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dude, you laugh, but you wouldn't have been if you'd been there circa 2001. Anyone near me and the hot dog train ran the risk of losing a finger.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wasn't this the start of the 80s movie "Can't Buy Me Love"?

Draft saved Draft deleted