1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell a story about being poor in college

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Mar 10, 2011.

1. pffft

pffft Member

My bank account was never actually empty, but freshman year, I wouldn't pony up for a $5 cup at house parties. A few of us guys would find some random house party where we didn't know a soul and look for a stray cup on the porch, in the corner with the dust bunnies, wherever. Then we would drink until the kegs were dry.

Sometimes I would even put a few solo cups in my coat -- one red, one blue, one yellow -- and take them with me.

Thinking back, I'm not sure how it was even fun going to a party where you didn't know anyone, but there were some good times. Probably couldn't bring myself to do that these days.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My situation was very similar. Only I would go to a party, pay $5 for a cup, then later in the night, sneak over and grab a second cup from the stack that was left out. I'd double-fist for the rest of the night. Only once did a frat guy ever complain, and I quickly bent the original cup and told him there was a hole in it.

And I also went to parties by myself where I didn't know anyone. Sometimes my friends didn't want to go out, or were busy doing something else, so I'd go alone and end up at a place where I didn't know anyone. Sometimes I'd meet people, and sometimes I'd just stay there all night without talking to anyone. Looking back now, I'd imagine that everyone thought I was this weirdo guy hanging out.

And I sure don't think I'd do it today. But when I was in college, I had this "I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks" rebel attitude, so I'd go and act like I didn't care what people thought of the strange loner with the two cups of beer scoping out the women from his spot in the corner.
  3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The fine folks at Ramen thank you for this thread.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One semester I bought a 50-pound bag of rice. I didn't eat breakfast, but would have a bowl of rice for lunch and then for dinner.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With rare exception these would be the items in my shopping cart.

Mountain Dew

Sometimes I would splurge and get Chef Boyardee Raviolis or Mac and Cheese.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We used to make our pledges show up with a roll of toilet paper everytime they came to the house.
  7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I went fishing for change with a broom under the vending machines in the basement of my dorm. Usually came up with a buck or two.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I sold my blood plasma. You could only do it twice in 2 weeks. The first time you got $7.00, you came back about 3 days later and got $13 more.
    $20.00 at the grocery store would get a lb of ground beef, package of hot dogs, dozen eggs, pasta & sauce, loaf of bread.

I did this for about 3 months, but I looked like a junkie and the g-ddamn people who would stick my arm with a needle missed as often as they would hit.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The campus art museum was on my way from my apartment to class, and one of their exhibits was a model train that ran in an oval on the inside and outside of a sidewalk-level wall. The train was loaded from inside with hot dogs and condiments for anyone walking by. I still have no idea what the artistic merit was - there was speculation that it was a psych experiment. No matter - Big Circus was getting one of those dogs every time he walked by. I ate free hot dogs for lunch every day that exhibit ran.
  10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i had to take a pay cut when i left college. i was getting max financial aid, dad was paying for my apartment, mom was paying for groceries and gas and i also made about $400 a month on the campus newspaper. ramen noodles? hell, i had steak in my freezer!
  11. pffft

pffft Member

I donated plasma for a while as well, except in my time just a few years ago, it was something like $65 a week. Pretty good money for sitting there reading a magazine. And the needle would go through the same "hole" every time, so my arm looked fine.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I had seven jobs at the same time in college (student newspaper women's basketball beat writer/student TV news show producer&director/student radio station DJ/Public Radio DJ/Professional TV station sports camera guy/I DJ'd at a bar/Taco Bell) so I was always around different sets of people willing to buy me a meal or a drink where ever I was.
    I paid for school by the semester (with the help of parents as well) and never had much money and wouldn't suggest it to many to try, but it worked for me.
    Oh, and the school had a meal plan card for kids that lived on campus (I didn't), but it was always too much money on the card per semester...so kids would always be willing to buy me a personal pizza a shitty hamburger or chicken strips from the in-school vendors.
Draft saved Draft deleted