1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teleconference hijinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Now that I've thought about it some more, when you hear the cycle of names that they go through on that call - one after another after another after another - it seems like there must have been up to a dozen people involved in this thing.

Remember that you have to say who you are, then get connected, then hit *1 or whatever it is to get back on the call. With the way that they were just flying through names, it's not like someone could have said "I'm so-and-so from the Daily News," get shut down, then say "I'm so-and-so-2 from the Daily Post."

There's got to be quite a few people involved in this.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm sure they had their interns all holding on the lines ...

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So what's the payoff on this? This doesn't rise to the level of the Stern creeps pranking CNN during a breaking news story. If someone went to all the trouble to organize this, what's their motivation?

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Who? Did they find who was responsible for this?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Apparently The Kidd Chris Show from Philly.

One of the yahoos said it in one of the questions.

6. Smasher_Sloan

So then it's ultra-lame, even for prankage. It's not a broadcast forum, it's a conference call with a relatively small number of people listening. And these coaches are unknown to general public who doesn't follow college basketball. Anything less than Bob Knight in this situation is meaningless.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet it's been reported in a few media outlets and we've got six pages on it on here.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Being discussed here doesn't mean anything. We're in the business, so we're going to take an interest in stuff like that.

The Stern goons were on network TV during the OJ chase. This is half a step above "Is your refrigerator running?"

Draft saved Draft deleted