1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teleconference hijinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

(I apologize in advance if this is too ridiculous for the dignified precincts of the journalism topics only board, but it didn't seem to fit in sports and news.)

I know it's a longshot, but please, please tell me someone around here was listening to the SEC women's basketball coaches teleconference. (Yes, I was. It's sad. Let's not beat a dead horse.)

Anyway, Arkansas women's coach Tom Collen was the victim of the most bizarre prank call I've ever heard: Two guys called into the teleconference, entered the question queue and lay in wait for the poor guy.

A heavily paraphrased transcription follows:

The whole thing was the damnedest thing I've ever seen.

2. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Wow. Just Wow.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The two brain surgeons had to announce who they were with, yes? I would hope that the SEC sends a strongly worded letter to these idiots' editor(s). And I hope they're fired for that stunt.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

They used names and what sounded like newspapers, but I assume both were fake. Probably two college kids with too much time on their hands.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

That's pretty damn hilarious. It's actually not all that uncommon for fans to get access to the teleconferences. About 10 years ago, I was listening to the SEC football teleconference and some "reporter" comes on with Steve Spurrier:

"Hey coach, just wondering how you're recovering from surgery?"

"Excuse me?"

"Didn't you have surgery over the summer?"

"No, I didn't have surgery."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Oh, OK, cause I heard there was a big ol' orange thing on your ass that needed to be removed .... (whoops, hollers) GO VOLS!!!"

I wish I still had that on tape.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We've had "Great Moments in Teleconferences" threads in the past and my favorite story is one about Bill Foster.

He's taking questions via cellphone while he's driving somewhere. All of a sudden he says "Gotta go boys" and hangs up. But before he hangs up another voice is clearly heard saying "License and registration please."

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised this doesn't happen much more often.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stupid anonymous message board posters teleconference reporters.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember reading that some radio station did that to Spurrier awhile back.

10. Mizzougrad96

Targeting a women's hoops coach, and not Summit or Auriemma is really strange...

11. I was on a call a few years ago that was an open line for everyone . But they didn't make that clear to everyone all the call. Halfway through, someone decided he needed to piss...

12. Mizzougrad96

I've had that happen countless times... You're on a call and you hear someone peeing in the background...

Draft saved Draft deleted