1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telander calls out "immature Bears."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Man, Telander is good.
    Whether or not he actually felt threatened, and whether or not readers care about reporters and access, he nails this point. He takes it beyond the question of access. And he creates, like, four levels on which this column can be read. This immature behavior, coupled with the Harris quote, really clues me into the Bears locker room and the prospects for the season and how ready they are to be powers in the NFL.
    Tremendous.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Came up and made the tackle after anyone of a number of running backs burst through their defensive line and linebackers.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just went back and reread "Like A Rose" Telanders great little tribute to the game of football.

Refreshed my memmory on a few interesting things:

In '71 there were some pretty good QB's around - Joe Theisman - Rex Kern . Northwestern with Telander at CB held the teams they played to only a 32% completion percnetage

Telander was drafted in round 8 by the KC Chiefs.

As far as "Like a Rose" - highly suggest it. Beautiful little book completly from the heart.

Its funny I've been reading Telander's work for a long time. For a time some of his work about football got really dark. It left you with the impression that he hated the game.

The interesting thing is that he actually addresses the thought in "Like a Rose" .

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Personally, I've never been in that situation, but I'd have tried to stay put until the final minute of media availability was up.

Perhaps the players would respect the writer who sticks with it, sticks up to them; kinda like a bully who quits bullying when you fight back.

Writing about it and pissing them off only guarantees it will happen again - and more often.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm a Bears fanboy, but there's no way they get to 12-0.

After Miami this weekend, they go:

* To the Giants
    * To the Jets
    * To the Patriots.

Hello, 9-2.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Slap: That was a good team. Only a narrow loss to the Bucks in Columbus kept them out
    of the Rose Bowl.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They beat the Bucs in '71 14- 10

Last time NW beat O-State.

8. The Basement

The Basement Member

That's what i meant - Telander called him out and Gilmore came on and said he wasn't even there.

during that radio interview, Gilmore says they do that every day. he says that now and then, if a player is doing a one-on-one, they'll finish the interview even after the locker room is "closed". The guys who are there every day know they do this and really don't care.
    I like Telander's work, but his reaction - to me - proves he hasn't been there all season long. but, he is a columnist, so no surprise there.

as for the thought that this weekday antic shows that Bears aren't ready to be a "power in the NFL" is absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted