1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telander calls out "immature Bears."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 26, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

This is a couple of weeks old, but I just heard about it. Apparently Rick Telander felt threatened by the Bears in the locker room, and wrote about it. I can't decide if the players are idiots, Telander is a thin-skinned wussy, or a little bit of both:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/95251,CST-SPT-rick13.article

2. Re: Immature Bears?

Good column.
    Contrasts the thoughful quotes with the boorish behavior, and in context.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Immature Bears?

I thought it was a good read and I would have been just as disturbed by the players' behavior. I'm not sure if Telander's readers will give a shit how he felt, but part of our jobs is to provide an insight into the people inside the uniforms that our readers can't get just by watching the games and Telander did a very good job of that.

I wonder how they'll treat him next time they see him after that last comment questioning their manhood.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bears still suck.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Suck like a fox.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? Well I heard most foxes like to suck big dicks! In yo face! :D

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I doubt Telander, an All-Big Ten player in college, felt all that much physically threatened.

And even if you did, so what? Let them hit you. And then collect millions, and millions, and millions and millions of dollars. Go ahead, hit me. ;)

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. We all admire your pain threshold. ::)

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I knew Telander played at Northwestern I didn't know he was All-Big 10.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I worked the Bears' locker room on the road earlier this season and the only thought that stuck with me was, "Man, I'd like to cover Tommie Harris full-time."

Maybe it was because I was from a non-Chicago paper, but he gave me some GREAT stuff.

I did notice that all the D-linemen gave each other a ton of shit during interviews, though.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow, ballplayers shouting, making a ruckus and generally acting like barely functional neanderthals so that the media has a hard time hearing anything. Award-winning, news-breaking stuff there. Next: Telander complains that baseball teams play music really loud after wins and after batting practice. ::) ::)

Telander would have had a ball in the Jets locker room when Parcells ran the show. Hard to hear anything with Berj Najarian counting down the minutes left before everyone was herded back to the fire hazard of a media room.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He was second team All-Big 10 at corner in 1971. A guy you may remember named Jack Tatum was first team.

Draft saved Draft deleted