1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tekkies: An InDesign question...

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Killick, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Here's the deal: Lining up a freelance gig to paginate a local rag, and they work in InDesign CS3. I have InDesign CS at home, can't upgrade to CS3 because my Mac can't handle the requisite OS X Leopard. Now, the question: Does lowly CS open CS3 files? I know that certainly it'll work the other way around, But I've gotta know if my earlier version of the software will have any trouble opening CS3 files.

Tried calling tech support, but -- swear to God -- it was some Indian lady I couldn't understand. Second call got an even more incomprehensible Indian-sounding dude.

2. no, cs won't open cs3 files.

3. Killick

Shit. Thought that'd be the case.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Answer is no. CS3 is backward compatible, but the suites aren't forward compatible. Also moving this to the design board. Maybe someone will have a solution on there. I know there is an extension made by someone (want to say marksware, or some name like that) that converts quark files to indesign files. Maybe something similar exists.

5. Killick

How 'bout this angle? Does CS3 allow you to save files that Cs will open? Quark used to have that, and I think Pagemaker did, as well. You know, do a "Save As" and options include earlier InDesign formats?

If not, I may have to blow off this deal. Not going to invest serious dough for a mediocre-at-best return...

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm certain CS3 will let you save down to CS version...

Argh. Looked it up on Adobe's online database and while you can, it's a bitch.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/5.0/help.html?content=WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6d4d.html

Basically, you can save an .inx file from CS3 that CS2 will open. Unfortunately, CS won't recognize it unless you redo the process in CS2, creating another .inx file. Keep in mind you'll need a special plugin for CS2 to make it work.

If you can work in CS2 this sounds reasonable, but if you don't have it I'd suggest it's silly to require someone to save the file down twice just so you can work on it.

7. Question: Is the gig good enough to warrant getting a new computer that you can claim on your taxes as a reelancer?

8. samstonz77

samstonz77 New Member

why is that

Draft saved Draft deleted