1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teens harrass TV reporter who reported on underage drinking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Balthier

Balthier Member

Drinking makes the phone calls stop.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In this day and age, that scene was unrealistic. The high school coaches in this area lock the kids down so tight they can't squeak when they go on the road. And just because something is epidemic doesn't mean you don't call it for what it is ... wrong.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Spoken as a true naive, middle aged man. Get out of the country club Hondo.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. But it's not the best side to land on this debate. Wrong is wrong.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have never said that it wasn't wrong. All I've responded to was the comments about it being an epidemic and how things are worse now than ever. It is simply not true.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, I agree with that. Underage drinking was every bit as much prevalent a generation ago as it is today.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Times is on this beat now, too. Parents in Queens let kids drink!!!

Not defending the parents' actions--clearly these people let it get out of control if kids are going to the hospital--but is this really worth the use of editorial resources?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/nyregion/breezy-point-couple-arrested-at-party-where-minors-were-drinking.html?ref=todayspaper

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, there's not a story out there that hasn't been done before by someone, somewhere.

So the TV station stakes out a local liquor store and gets kids buying booze. Not exactly new, but possibly new to some viewers. (Kind of like city councilman gets DUI.) I'm surprised the store isn't more upset, since they seem to be the ones with the most to loose from this publicity.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    At least she wasn't harassed by this guy.

GIVE ME A KEG OF BEER!

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It's a breaking news story.

That's an amazing number of charges.

This is a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted