1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teens harrass TV reporter who reported on underage drinking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 15, 2012.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They might have shitty motives, but it doesn't change that it's a pretty explosive story.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Explosive? Teenagers drink, teenagers fuck, news at 11.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but businesses and their employees shouldn't be in the business of facilitating that.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The story is not that teens drink, it's that a package store sells to them indiscriminately.

To me, all bullshit aside, this is community journalism.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hope their next stories are about men abusing their wives, people getting flashed close to the college, DWIs on a Saturday night and all the other things that fill a police report every day. They are all crimes, but they happen so often that they are not newsworthy.

I wonder if people gamble in DC or use drugs?

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

My lord, how old are you?

It's an incredible epidemic. It's not just popping a few brews. I'm 35, so maybe I am just an old guy with 2 young children, but the level of abuse of alcohol pales to what I remember growing up. We would sneak off and down some booze, or in college get hammered on cheap beer the older guy bought.

But, high school kids every weekend? Incredibly unsafe. It's these stories are the reason you have local news. Or, do we only do the stories if someone dies?

Really, what would you think if these were your children, or worse, your children's friends?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, high school kids every weekend. I am little older than you and kids were getting hammered every weekend when I was in school.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And of course you believe that makes it all right.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did I say that? Calling it an epedemic is ridiculous.

Of course, you are the one that believed it was unrealistic that a football team on Friday Night Lights missed curfew and was drinking.

10. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This whole thread just reminds me that my 21st can't come soon enough.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Chingy agrees with this lady.

12. Are you serious? You're 35 and, which means you were a teenager more or less when I was, and you really believe that teen drinking is markedly worse than it was 15-20 years ago?

That's why I dislike the media "epidemic"-of-the-week stories. Because some people actually take them seriously. Don't confuse scary anecdotes with real evidence. Although there may be year-to-year blips, every long-term survey shows teen drinking is declining.

(Why that is, or whether that's even something worth celebrating, is another debate).

And to address the other points on the thread: No, the TV reporter's kids shouldn't be harassed. But I have a limited reservoir of sympathy to go around, and I tend to concentrate on starving children or victims of injustice, not TV reporters doing sweeps stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted