1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teenaged folk singer killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Awesome.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was the leader of the coyote pack named Blutarsky?

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The FUCK are you looking at?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Turns out Taylor Mitchell will be buried in my hometown.....her family has close ties to this city and she considered this to be her hometown as well, even though she was born and raised in Toronto. I had no idea until I was directed to a note she posted on Facebook.

Last week was spent with my Mom, Aunt, and best friend at the family cottage in Owen Sound. My entire family is from the Sound, both the McKay's and the Mitchell's. Both families are big, but the McKay's practically owned the town and are to numerous to keep straight. My mom and aunt spent the week trying to figure out the family tree and exactly how everyone was related. It was confusing and inspiring all at once. Our cottage is on the shores of Georgian bay. It's 125 years old with three bedrooms that sleep two and one bedroom that sleeps four, plus a bunk house. It's old and creaky and absolutely beautiful. As I sit on my couch in my apartment, I'm homesick for the precariously slanted stairs, tennis courts, lake, and wonderful memories. I'll be playing my first show in Owen Sound this fall and am incredibly excited to be playing in what feels like my real home town.

Unfortunately, I don't know if she ever got to play that first show here.......what a sad story this has been.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's a tribute to her music. She had one album and when you listen to this, you know she would have been a serious talent.

Taylor went to the Etobicoke School of the Arts, a high school about two k's north of us. That school has turned out some serious artists in all fields from all parts of Ontario

Good to see she maintained her SW Ontario roots in Owen Sound.

RIP.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is horrible. Man, nature sure fucking sucks sometimes.

7. "What the world needs now is another folk singer like I need a hole in my head."--Cracker

from the unfortunately-titled (for this thread) "Teen Angst"

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Outside did a good story on this. She was actually killed by three coyote/wolf hybrids which are more dangerous than a normal coyote.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/201003/coyote-attacks-1.html

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Surprised no one's blamed global warming yet.

10. Inky_Wretch

::)

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Just finished reading the Outside article and I am legitimately concern. I had no clue that not only was there a large, permanent coyote population in the east, but the individual animals are wolf-hybrids. I live in an area where there are two large nature preserves that are chock-full of deer, rabbits, beavers, woodchucks and other prey items. There are also lots of kids and small dogs living in my neighborhood, too. Maybe I should look to see if I should put my gun license to use.

PS - Apparently, there's a lot of these buggers here in NJ, too. If anyone's interested, here's a link from the NJDEP's Fish & Wildlife Division

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm

12. Inky_Wretch

Wolf/coyote hybridization was new to me as well. I doubt if they are as far south as NJ. Those are likely just plain ole coyotes, which aren't as dangerous.

That said, when you're in the woods you should always be on guard. You never know if a coyote or bear or mountain lion or bobcat or whacked-out methhead might be around the next bend in the trail.

Draft saved Draft deleted